Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Weasels on Omaha. D Day.

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by Trux, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Trux

Trux New Member

I am doing well with a study of Omaha Beach. Once I had a landing table as a framework it was possible to make sense of the large amount of information available.

There seem to be a number of references to Weasels being used on Omaha but no mention of them on the tables. Of course this is probably because the tables were made up before the Weasels were available. On the British beaches there were a lot of Weasels which appear on the tables as 1/4 ton Jeeps. Probably this is true of US beaches also.

There is a set of photos showing Weasels with trailers loading in the UK. These are labelled as being from 29 Division destined for Omaha. Three photos show clearly the company letter 'M', which should be a weapons company. Could these be the vehicles which appear on tables as Jeep and trailer carrying machine guns and mortars?

Any thoughts or information on the use of Weasels would be welcome.

Mike

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Have you looked at the Green Books?

3. Trux

Trux New Member

Thanks. I have not looked in the Green Books. I have a few old hardback volumes but I know they are available on line now.

I have followed another hint given to me and found the Weasels on LSTs of Follow up Force 'B'. All the weapons company vehicles seem to have had Weasels instead of Jeeps.

More later.

Mike