We Need Your Help - Become a Site Supporter

For 16 years we've been delivering WWII discussion and research, help support our efforts for the next 16 years. Become a WW2 Forums Patron!

Photo
- - - - -

Chuck Yeager: Still alive and feisty!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 harolds

harolds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:26 AM

I googled him because I figured he past away by now. No way! Because of hearing loss he seems to have taken to social media like, as The Telegraph article says, a very angry duck to water. He called the citizens of the UK "nasty" and "arrogant". When called on it he stood by his position and didn't retreat (naturally!). I don't agree with him but it's kind of funny. It was in an article in the British newspaper "The Telegraph" earlier this month. Any of you posters from the UK aware of this?

Edited by harolds, 26 October 2016 - 03:27 AM.

#2 FalkeEins

FalkeEins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 04:06 PM

of course we are !  Talk about pot and kettle! The guy always was an arrogant old *bleep*, just he's got a lot worse with age! I did read though that he has actually lost it big time (his marbles that is) and that it is his wife that comes up with all these stupid comments

Edited by FalkeEins, 26 October 2016 - 04:08 PM.

#3 von Poop

von Poop

Waspish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,397 posts
  • LocationPerfidious Albion

User's Awards

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:03 PM

Been following 'him' for a little while now.
I think it's hilarious.

Hadn't heard the wife theory, Falkeins, though it makes perfect sense. I'd been assuming grandkids. :)

It's only the Internet...

#4 The_Historian

The_Historian

Pillboxologist

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,644 posts
  • LocationStirling, Scotland

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:39 AM

Yeah, saw it the first time round.

Prat.

Edited by The_Historian, 27 October 2016 - 12:39 AM.

Regards,

Gordon

#5 harolds

harolds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 01:05 AM

I just read that his buddy and fellow WWII vet and test pilot Bob Hoover just died.

#6 Otto

Otto

No More Half Measures

• Administrators
  • 8,201 posts
  • LocationFestung Chicago

User's Awards

Posted 28 October 2016 - 03:29 AM

"Arrogant" is a slur people sometimes throw at both fighter pilots and Americans. It's a necessary attribute in the first case and an inaccurate one in the second, no one group has the market cornered on arrogance.
  • Poppy likes this

Comments, questions or feedback? Contact me at ottomail.png
Twitter_logo_blue_16.png twitter

#7 CAC

CAC

Ace of Spades

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 06:27 AM

Dutch?

Just saying...

• Otto and George Patton like this
I try to be the man my dog thinks i am...

#8 FalkeEins

FalkeEins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:06 PM

"Arrogant" is a slur people sometimes throw at both fighter pilots and Americans. 

not even an arrogant American fighter pilot would state - as Yeager did a while back  - that the Spitfire wasn't a good aeroplane. Not so much arrogant or 'feisty' as just sheer bloody-minded

#9 CAC

CAC

Ace of Spades

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 11:57 PM

Yeah...he got that one wrong.
I try to be the man my dog thinks i am...

#10 Otto

Otto

No More Half Measures

• Administrators
  • 8,201 posts

User's Awards

Posted 29 October 2016 - 12:23 AM

He's quite old, and he's not about to write a book or enter into an area of historical inquiry any time soon. I have the same reaction von Poop does.

#11 von Poop

von Poop

Waspish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,397 posts
  • LocationPerfidious Albion

User's Awards

Posted 29 October 2016 - 02:05 AM

Seems remiss not to have a link to his account.
https://twitter.com/GenChuckYeager

And with all replies & tweets:
https://twitter.com/...er/with_replies

It's only the Internet...

#12 Otto

Otto

No More Half Measures

• Administrators
  • 8,201 posts

User's Awards

Posted 29 October 2016 - 04:30 AM

He's quite old, and he's not about to write a book or enter into an area of historical inquiry any time soon. I have the same reaction von Poop does.

I stand corrected. According to Yeager's twitter, he's written a book yet to be published. He didn't mention a title or subject.

#13 the_diego

the_diego

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:04 AM

"Arrogant" is a slur people sometimes throw at both fighter pilots and Americans. It's a necessary attribute in the first case and an inaccurate one in the second, no one group has the market cornered on arrogance.

in the 80's to 90's it was the japanese. right now it's the chinese and singaporeans. pretty soon it'll just be the chinese.

#14 Terry D

Terry D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationHuerta, California

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:58 AM

Many men are good or great at one or two things and hopeless outside their area of expertise. Yeager is a great fighter pilot, a great pure aviator, and a very brave man. Apparently he is a bit of an ass as well.

And the lesson, brothers and sisters, is that thou shalt not make unto thyself any graven image.

#15 OhneGewehr

OhneGewehr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:00 PM

Many men are good or great at one or two things and hopeless outside their area of expertise. Yeager is a great fighter pilot, a great pure aviator, and a very brave man.

About Charles Lindbergh i heard the opinion, that he is fantastic in "not falling asleep during a long flight" but that's all. Even the Nazis considered him only as an "useful idiot".

But he is a famous person in our history.

#16 m kenny

m kenny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:10 PM

Douglas Bader was notoriously arrogant and difficult.  However his status as an 'Ace' meant most people overlooked his faults and thus help re-inforce his opinion he was very special.  Famous  Yorkshiremen revel in the 'blunt-speaking' mythos they create for themselves but personally I find the type to be just ignorant and boorish bullies.  Never could understand how G. Boycot and F. Trueman ever had any friends-in Boycot's case I will admit he may be the one man who truly has no friends!

#17 Poppy

Poppy

grasshopper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts
  • LocationShambhala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv9DwzU3KP0

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:34 PM

Patton was blunt. ..Kind of Trumpish now i think about it. I admire men who speak their piece without worrying about feelings.

Feelings/political correctness have a small space while at war.

XX

#18 m kenny

m kenny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:43 PM

Patton was blunt. ..Kind of Trumpish now i think about it. I admire men who speak their piece without worrying about feelings.

Only when the victim is someone you don't like. Tends to be seen differently if you or yours are the victims.

#19 Poppy

Poppy

grasshopper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts
  • LocationShambhala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv9DwzU3KP0

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:54 PM

Sorry MrKenny, i don't follow.

Victims of words...victims are only of violence not words.

XX

#20 m kenny

m kenny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:15 AM

Sorry MrKenny, i don't follow.

Victims of words...victims are only of violence not words.

I meant that they ended up at the end of a tirade from an idiot. As I said I find that 'blunt-speaking' people are mostly ignorant rude people used to getting their own way and who do not take kindly to any correction. I have no time for someone who can only feel good by bullying an underling.

#21 Terry D

Terry D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationHuerta, California

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:03 AM

I would not say that everyone who is blunt-spoken is necessarily a bully. Some blunt spoken people are highly intelligent persons who get straight to the point and do not like to waste time on nonsense. Some great soldiers are in this class, including Grant, Sherman, and Wellington. Montgomery was blunt-spoken as well, though he had indeed been a bully as a youth and always tended to throw his weight around. I don't think you could say that of the other three men I mentioned. If a commander cannot be blunt when necessary, then I think he is in the wrong business. Yeager was just shooting his mouth off, a habit of the old and the bigoted. No doubt his bluntness had much more point and intelligence when he was using it as a fighter leader. Then at least he was talking from knowledge and experience.

#22 the_diego

the_diego

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:01 AM

No bastard ever won an election by promising to die for his country. He won it by promising to make all the other poor dumb bastards...

• Otto likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users