Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Canadian F/L Donald M. Norman J17290

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Mutley, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Mutley

Mutley Active Member

I'm wondering if I can find out the year of birth for F/L Donald Maxwell Norman J17290. I found the following details on the rcafassociation.ca website.

"Air Force Cross - No.7 OTU - Award effective 11 August 1945 as per London Gazette dated 14 August 1945 and AFRO 1453/45 dated 14th September 1945.� Home in Windsor, Ontario; enlisted there 7 January 1941.� Trained at No.3 ITS (graduated 21 April 1941), No.12 EFTS (graduated 3 July 1941) and No.1 SFTS (graduated 13 September 1941).� As of recommendation he had flown 1,214 hours, including 210 hours as instructor (all in previous six months).
    This officer is a keen, industrious and capable flying instructor who has always imparted a high standard of training to his pupils.� He has shown great ability in instilling in his pupils the benefits of his operational experience.� His willingness to accept any task and carry it through to a successful conclusion is most commendable.� His devotion to duty at all times has been much in evidence throughout his instructional career".

He married a relative in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1943 and they had two daughters. I found one daughter born in 1943, but in Lincoln, England.

Tried all the usual geneaology websites to try and trace the family but getting nowhere fast. I'm lead to believe the family returned to Canada and that Donald and one daughter are deceased.

Can you think of any archive (enlistment papers perhaps) that might reveal his year of birth? It will be another two years before the marriage details are viewable on line, but we may end up having to purchase the wedding certificate to reveal his age.

I'd like to learn more about his time in the UK and ultimately to trace his other daughter and wife.

Many thanks.

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Not sure if this is the correct Donald Norman, but the marker has what appears to be a daughter listed above Donald and Anna. Of course, Donald Norman is not an uncommon name, so it could be coincidence.

[​IMG]

Mutley likes this.
  3. Mutley

Mutley Active Member

Many thanks TD, I'm unsure that's the family. Appreciate your input as always. Might bite the bullet and order the marriage certificate. At least that would give me Donald's parents names and another generation to search. I was hopeful his middle name would have made it easier to trace them.

Donald's wife is the half sister of my own father's half brother that died in 1941 with the Merchant Navy.

Through researching my uncle I've discovered his father had another nine children. The last three are all still alive and we are just curious whether June Norman is still alive. I doubt it, given she was born in 1925/6, but we live in hope.

4. BFBSM

BFBSM Member

There is a UK Incoming Passenger Record for a Donald Maxwell Norman, with his family arriving on 22 Dec 1958 aboard the R.M.S Salonica travelling to France. The dates of birth included are as follows:

Donald M. Norman 16.4.22
    June Norman 18.1.25
    Valerie Norman 15.11.43
    Linda C. Norman 27.3.45

I believe this to be your chap as his occupation is shown to be 'R.C.A.F.', and the wife's christian name matches with the marriage details on Scotland's People.

Mark

5. Mutley

Mutley Active Member

Ya beauty Mark, what a find. Thank you very much. It's definitely them. Really intrigued that Donald is still in the services, must get a hold of his service record now. Wonder if he was serving in France or just a holiday after leaving England before returning to Canada? Linda's birth isn't proving easy to find. Did find one birth in London for 1945 but the maiden name on the GRO doesn't match Junes maiden name. Onwards and upwards.
    Cheers Maria