Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The European Union

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by Ben Dover, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Active Member

I'm British and if I feel this EU wants to punish Britain for exiting, it should be split and broken up.

2. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Active Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C18pk0ZEHZI

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

You mean Britain?

4. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Active Member

It's nice to see a US president elect supporting GB and understanding Brexit.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-donald-trump-us-election-2016-uk-visit-theresa-may-first-a7407771.html
    Great Britain won't be sending its foreign secretary to an EU meeting called for all European foreign securities called to discuss President Elect Trump and Europe; Boris Johnson (the UK foreign secretary) was invited, and out of all the 28 of those invited, has been the only one so far to not attend.
    Britain is still sending somebody, just to be like 'a fly on the wall' at this meeting, but this is the UK snubbing the EU who have called an emergency Trump meeting in Brussels, Belgium.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37963046

5. Tamino

Tamino Doc - The Deplorable

6. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Thank God the American press has a sense of humour.......

7. Mutley

Mutley Active Member

8. Tamino

Tamino Doc - The Deplorable

David Cameron ridiculed Boris Johnson's second EU referendum idea, American mainstream media ridiculed Trump... It isn't funny, the world has changed and we just have to recognize and accept the changes such as they are.

9. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

...interesting to think how many ridiculed Hitler in the early 1930s.

10. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

We have started cutting the services with a heavy hand. In Finland for example we are letting the computers do the work. Banks, posts, etc are being cut in a faster speed all the time. Instead you can get money from shops, post packages from shops and kiosks. Not nice but we have to adapt as this seems to be the 8th year of doing worse in business and not many countries are doing well or even reasonably ok. The German gene seems to work ok still. Once the loan percentage goes up many countries bleed tears. I remeber when your loan interest could be as high as 15%.....

Next the Japanese: They have their car factories in the UK. Do you think they will stay there,too?

Next you have to make new business deals, and simply changing money to other currency costs alot. The same currency and forget it.

EU means that you do business with other EU countries. The UK has to watch for countries that are not EU countries because now I think we have to buy and sell with other EU countries.

I can understand you want to keep your currency, independence etc but I fear thereĀ“s no going back as the depression gives very slow signs of turning to better economy....

11. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

Sorry but this is simply wrong. If you want to split up the EU we should stay in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37iHSwA1SwE

As sir Humphrey says "we tried to break it up from the outside, but that didn't work. Now we are inside we can make a whole pigs breakfast of it"

E.g. by lobbying to extend the EU to include lots of new members and whinge like mad about the immigration from eastern Europe, or by helping to changing regimes in Iraq and Libya and insist that refugees fleeing instability are the responsibility of the nearest EU state. ;)

12. toki2

toki2 Active Member

We can insist and lobby til we are blue in the face but it will not change the fact that members will only toe the line when it suits them. Example - Merkel unilaterally inviting refugees into Germany with no concern over the impact on other member states who she then expected to take their share of refugees.

FalkeEins likes this.
  13. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Active Member

14. SDP

SDP recruit

Organisations/businesses/countries/any_other_conglomeration_you_care_to_think_of that doesn't adapt to new 'market' conditions will eventually fail. It happened to the USSR/Soviet Union, it happened to Yugoslavia and it will inevitably happen to the EU. Sounds a fatalistic view but remember that these organisations were/are not run to a proper Business Plan...they are run by people with selfish idealistic dreams who can't actually cope with changing circumstances. This is why the EU needs yet another talking shop to discuss Trumps Election Victory and why Boris has decided not to attend. Boris was actually where he should have been today: at the Cenotaph in Whitehall along with lots of others doing what is right and proper on Remembrance Sunday. Indeed the EU gets more like a load of megalomaniacs every day: Juncker/Tusk/Schultz don't even say EU nowadays...they say Europe (as if they rule the whole of Europe....which continent includes a large tranch of Russia! No wonder Putin is acting as he is!....and so would you in the same position). The EU also claim that it's the EU that has kept the peace in Europe since WW2....total wishful thinking...its NATO Charter that has achieved that.

Rant over....now, back to my dinner party!

FalkeEins likes this.
  15. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

You could start by landing in Normandy...

Tamino likes this.
  16. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

His own customs will soon ask him for a passport or and identity card even for a day trip to Calais.

17. Brian Smith

Brian Smith Active Member

Bridlington East Riding Yorkshire England
    I voted to leave but have no problems with those countries who wish to remain - the EU suits some and does not suit others.

What I find unacceptable at the moment is we are still a member and paying our contributions but have allowed ourselves to be sidelined from ongoing work of the EU. If they do not want us at these meetings give us our money back.

18. toki2

toki2 Active Member

That has been in place for a number of years now - some type of photographic ID is necessary.

Ben Dover and von Poop like this.
  19. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Active Member

Is anyone else angry with Germany right now for saying America voted not how they liked and then called for an emergency meeting of the EU about Trump.. ?

I know GB and France have snubbed today's emergency meeting about Donald Trump, and I hope for a Frexit.

What makes me angry is, Germany isn't America, so where do they get off telling America who they should have voted for, and what message does this send to America and the process in America by calling this meeting in Europe about it?

https://www.ft.com/content/bd74b6de-a9ba-11e6-809d-c9f98a0cf216
    This tells me of Hungry also not attending, which, is great since 'Germany is the strongest country trying to lead Europe and not being able to do so's; just laughable from my P.o.v.
    Like who died and left Germany in charge?

20. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Without Germany Europe would be back in the caves...