Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

NAZI SABOTEURS ON THE BAYOU

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by steven.burgauer, Nov 17, 2016.

1. steven.burgauer

steven.burgauer Member

[SIZE=medium]4 stars out of 5[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]“The Book Reviewers,” a division of Full Media Ltd. (UK)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]November 8, 2016[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Nazi Saboteurs on the Bayou[/SIZE] by Steven Burgauer

[SIZE=medium]“An engaging, slow-burning wartime thriller with an epic feel and a large cast of characters.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]New Orleans might seem an unexpected location for a thriller set in World War II, but in Nazi Saboteurs on the Bayou[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] we discover that the city is home not only to a boat-building company vital to the Allies, but also to German-American Nazi sympathizers: a volatile combination. [/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]However, the wider implications of the events that ensue cause ripples throughout the US and UK military, as well as within the New Orleans branch of the Mafia and beyond. [/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Although the book depicts a number of real-life characters, the statement at the start of the book seems to imply that the events within it happened, but are not acknowledged by any of the relevant authorities — which of course makes it all the more intriguing.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The action is centred around New Orleans, and paints a very vivid picture of the city and the lives and livelihoods of those who lived there during World War II. I have not been to New Orleans, but I feel very much as if I dropped in there for a while in the oppressive heat of late summer 1942! [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]We also find ourselves in other parts of the world, among codebreakers in the UK and US Marines in the South Pacific. [/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]It took me a while to realise the links between some of the characters and locations, but all is revealed in good time.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The story is peppered liberally with ‘ripping yarns’ and incidental background knowledge. [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]Characters often share stories and information about the events of World War II up to 1942, as well more general history. [/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]These digressions make for a longer narrative and at times interrupt the flow of the story, but they are ultimately relevant and often interesting.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]There are a lot of characters to become acquainted with and initially it feels as if there are almost too many to keep track of, but this changes as the story goes on. [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]The book is peopled with boat builders, members of the Mafia, codebreakers, prostitutes, spies, marines — including Navajo code-talkers — and German-American New Orleanians. [/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]They are generally portrayed deftly, and mingle very successfully with the real-life characters. [/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]The non-fictional characters, such as Andrew Jackson Higgins, Chester Nez and Ian Fleming, and their roles in World War II, have been researched well and give the story additional weight.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I really enjoyed this well-realised, thought-provoking thriller and its varied cast of characters, as well as the fact that it offers an unusual angle on World War II. [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]It feels very cinematic at times, and had me thinking about which actors I would pick for the main roles. [/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]And my knowledge of military slang has definitely improved, to boot![/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Sarah Nisbet[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Summary: Nazi Saboteurs on the Bayou[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] is an engaging, slow-burning wartime thriller with an epic feel and a large cast of characters.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Author’s website: https://sites.google.com/site/stevenburgauer/[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]http://thebookreviewers.com/nazi-saboteurs-bayou-steven-burgauer/[/SIZE]

Attached Files: