Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

PT 305 restored!

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by A-58, Nov 24, 2016.

1. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

http://pt305.org/home/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/11/22/historic-wwii-pt-boat-heads-home-through-streets-new-orleans.html

I really really like PT boats, more than I like Stuart tanks and P-40s (ok, maybe all about the same). Anyway, PT 305 was located, restored and now is undergoing sea trials and crew training in Lake Pontchartrain. It will be displayed in a purpose built venue, and available for charter rides. I can see a WW2F Field Trip (complete w/report to Otto) in the near future. After Mardi Gras at least. The best thing about it is that PT 305 is a Higgins style boat, built in New Orleans at the Higgins Industries facilities. It is also the only restored PT boat (Higgins and Elco boats) that is sea worthy that is a combat veteran ( of the ETO). How cool is that?

2. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

I am glad to see that, I guarantee.

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

"Those who don't remember the past are dumbasses."

4. Dave55

Dave55 Member

5. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Here's an excerpt from wiki:

PT-305
    PT-305 ("Half Hitch","Barfly", "USS Sudden Jerk") is a Higgins 78-foot (24 m) boat, assigned during the war to RON22, and saw action against the Germans in the Mediterranean Sea. Squadron 22 was operating with the British Royal Navy Coastal Forces, and saw action along the northwest coast of Italy and southern coast of France. In June 1945 the squadron was shipped to the U.S. for refitting and transfer to the Pacific, but the war ended while still in New York. The PT-305 was cut down to 65 feet (20 m) for use as an oyster seed boat in Crisfield, Maryland. PT-305 was acquired by the Defenders of America Naval Museum (DOANM), and then sold in May 2007 to the National World War II Museum in New Orleans. PT-305 is undergoing restoration (as of 2016) to become a seaworthy, operational vessel on Lake Pontchartrain.