Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

TV Documentary Seeking British POW names from Stalag XVIIID, Maribor

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Liberty777, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Liberty777

Liberty777 New Member

Hello,

I am researching for a commissioned TV series for Channel 4 about the escape lines, also called the 'Freedom Trails’, of WW2 in Europe. I am seeking any information of the remaining British POWs of Stalag XVIII D at Maribor, Slovenia (then Yugoslavia) for potential interview. We are also very interested to speak to any family members of those British POWs as well.

There was a remarkable escape in August 1944, led by Ralph Churches and Les Laws, accompanied by Slovene Partisans, where a group of over 100 POWs reached safely, around 70 British alongside New Zealanders and Australians as well. There are now no surviving Australians or New Zealanders from this escape but I am hoping there may be a British veteran with us still.

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give - and I am happy to speak to you about the series in more detail, please call or email anytime.

Best wishes,

Liberty

liberty@seadogproductions.co.uk
    seadogproductions.co.uk

2. Richard Newman

Richard Newman New Member

Hi,
    I have just stumbled onto this post (07/06/2020) so I guess it is a bit too late for you now but my late father Francis Edgar Newman of 4th Queens Own Hussars was a prisoner at Stalag XVIII D from 05/07/41 - 25/07/41 when he was moved onto Stalag XVIII A where he remained for almost the rest of the War. Details provided by ICRC Geneva.
    Regards, Richard Newman.

belasar likes this.
  3. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Never too late to add to history.