Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Databse of US military deaths in WW2

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by alfylfc, Dec 17, 2016.

1. alfylfc

alfylfc New Member

Hopefully someone can help me find details of a US soldier who died in Northern Ireland in 1942.

He died on 30 Sept-1 Oct after an incident in Antrim town. I believe his surname was Jenkins and he served with 28th QM Truck Reg but I'm not certain on this.

That's the only info I have - is there a US military database, similar to the Commowealth War Graves Commission website in the UK, where I can search casualties by date/surname etc? I have been unable to find one so far.

If there isn't, is there somewhere I can contact in the US to further my search?

If I can get his details I plan to make a search for any documents/info relating to this incident, a violent death involving different units of the US military.

This may involve medical reports, court-martials, investigations etc

Again, any help on where I can obtain this information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

PFC William Clyde Jenkins
    Indiana
    19 May 1919 to 30 Sep 1942
    28 QM Truck Regt

Buried at Long Island National Cemetery, East Farmingdale, NY

I also found him on the WWII Casualty list for Vanderburgh County in Indiana which gives us his ASN 15044742 and indicates DNB for "Died Non-Battle".

View attachment 25272

The next thing you should do is request his IDPF (Individual Deceased Personnel File). It can take some time to get the file, so the sooner you request it, the better. You can also try requesting his OMPF (Official Military Personnel File).

I hope that helps get you started.

Owen and Slipdigit like this.
  3. alfylfc

alfylfc New Member

Thanks so much - really appreciated. Alfie

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

His Electronic Enlistment Record provides a little more info, like date of enlistment (8 Aug 1940), place of birth (Kentucky), race & citizenship ("Negro, citizen"), and civilian occupation (driver).

There really isn't one all encompassing online database. The NARA maintains the Electronic Army Enlistment Records that I referenced above. The American Battle Monuments Commision (ABMC) maintains a database of US military personnel buried in American Military cemeteries.

5. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The morgue for the local paper may provide an obit.