Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What do war department numbers mean on British tanks

Discussion in 'Armor and Armored Fighting Vehicles' started by John martin, Dec 31, 2016.

1. John martin

John martin New Member

Anyone know what those war department numbers on the sides of British tanks mean

2. SDP

SDP recruit

If you mean the 'T' census numbers, they are simply the equivalent of a car registration number. Each type of tank (for example Comet or Sherman) used specific ranges of numbers so the numbers weren't random. I can't remember any specific ranges offhand but each range was linked to a manufacturing contract number so, by knowing the T number, it is possible to identify the Manufacturing Contract number and hence the Manufacturer.

My fathers Sherman M4A2 was T152248 and his Comet was T335335.

The Wartime T numbers were replaced in 1949 by ZR numbers so, for example, my dad's Comet T335335 was renumbered to 20ZR65.

GRW, von Poop and TIRDAD like this.
  3. John martin

John martin New Member

Yea those are the numbers, I was quite recently in a small town in Australia and off the side of the highway abandoned in a field was 3 Matilda 2's and 3 m3 lee/grant (turrets missing) and one of the Matilda's and one of the m3's still had paint in some Areas and I'm quite interested in learning the history behind these vehicles

T-24186

Was the number on the m3 and I can't remember the Matilda's number but I have a photo of it on my camera somewhere

4. John martin

John martin New Member

Anyone with any info on how to decode these numbers is very welcome and encouraged to share said info

5. SDP

SDP recruit

Are you a member at WW2Talk.com ? Would get higher profile for your question. I can post enquiry for you if you prefer. Note: there are some real 'T' number experts over on that sister site.

Pity those Matilda's are so far away: they really do need recovering!

6. phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking Member

It wasn't quite the equivalent of a car reg. number...because in many cases, T-numbered tanks etc. ALSO had registration numbers! Better to think of it in modern terms as a War Department "asset number" LOL

SDP likes this.
  7. SDP

SDP recruit

......or, indeed, as a Census Number....... PMSL

8. John martin

John martin New Member

Thanks for all the help I'll be sure to checkout that other forum

And I think these Matilda's and M3's are too far gone, none of them have engines or turrets none of the Matilda's have floors and none of them have engine decks :(

However I do plan on buying one eventually and sticking it on display in my garden cuz this place is only 6 hours away from me

9. John martin

John martin New Member

That Matilda is probably the one in best condition but I think it's been converted to a bulldozer guessing by the controls ontop and the large mounts on the front corners

10. John martin

John martin New Member

That M3 is probably the one in best condition but don't be fooled that's a T-17 armoured car turret loosely placed ontop and that's not an actual gun barrel it's just metal pipe

11. SDP

SDP recruit

Those wrecks are in positively good condition compared to some restoration projects I've seen. All boils down to money at the end of the day.

12. John martin

John martin New Member

Yea I have no doubt all the parts are there just walking around this yard I was seeing massive engine blocks tracks bogies there was an entire pallet of idler wheels clutch housings etc I guess one day I could strike a deal with the farmer who owns this place and take one tank hull and as many parts to said tank as I could find

SDP likes this.