We Need Your Help - Become a Site Supporter

For 16 years we've been delivering WWII discussion and research, help support our efforts for the next 16 years. Become a WW2 Forums Patron!

Photo
- - - - -

My computer or the site ?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 gtblackwell

gtblackwell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • LocationAuburn, Alabama, US

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:30 AM

Not sure where to post this but now when I click onn a topic of interest a box pops up saying "Save Here"

I can then click the save button  and download the link to the topic. Then I can try to open it  with one 6 options but none work. Then i go to the major grouping the topic is listed under and open it and search for the original topic !

I suspect it is my computer.  On Monday I can call my old school and the nice tech guys can take it over and figure it out but if some of you are having this problem and have a fix it would be much appreciated.

Strangely about 40% of the type when ni click on the topic it opens as it always has !  The box does not open elsewhere on the net.

Gaines

#2 OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer

I Point at Opana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,589 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:46 AM

Sounds like Malware. 

"One of our King Tigers could take five of your Shermans, but you always had six of them."

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
Pearl Harbor Attack Message Board
Veteran: USN, 1969-1989

#3 Belasar

Belasar

Court Jester

• Administrators
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:37 AM

I do not have that issue.

Wars are rarely fought in black and white, but in infinite shades of grey

(Poppy is occasionaly correct, or so I hear)

#4 Takao

Takao

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • LocationReading, PA

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:40 AM

That is a very odd duck.  I never heard of or have seen anything like that.

#5 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 16,627 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:09 AM

Sounds like an issue with your box since no one else seems to be having the problem.

Best Regards,  
JW :slipdigit:

SlidigitAxe.png

#6 gtblackwell

gtblackwell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:17 AM

I am pretty certain it must be me if it is not on anyone else's computer.. I ran a deep scan using Bitdefender Internet Security. Suite. highly rated and their bestb one but to no advail. Will get Auburn University tech guys to have a look.

Another box popped up saying send Otto $100 and it will go away ! Is this ransomware. ???????

• BFBSM likes this

#7 OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer

I Point at Opana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,589 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 06:03 AM

I am pretty certain it must be me if it is not on anyone else's computer.. I ran a deep scan using Bitdefender Internet Security. Suite. highly rated and their bestb one but to no advail. Will get Auburn University tech guys to have a look.

Another box popped up saying send Otto $100 and it will go away ! Is this ransomware. ???????

Nope, Otto's into extortion, not ransom. 

• Otto likes this

"One of our King Tigers could take five of your Shermans, but you always had six of them."

#8 TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:20 AM

I've see this often, looks like there is some script/code that wants to save a file locally and that's usually not a good thing (malware), as the code is triggered by cookies and other local settings  the behavior is computer specific. (BTW the nasty code is usually in the embedded advertisements, not the page itself.

Truth is the first victim of conflict

#9 gtblackwell

gtblackwell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:52 PM

TOS, am I likely to pass it along ? Especially here. No ad or any other activity than described  has shown up. .   I will stay away until I get it fixed. But you are spot on, it behaves exactly like it wants me to save the topic and not read it.

Thanks,

Gaines

Edited by gtblackwell, 01 January 2017 - 02:53 PM.

#10 KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,333 posts
  • LocationThe Arid Zone

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:48 PM

You aren't by chance using the infamous Internet Exploder (IE Browser)?    It seems far more prone to malware than other browsers. 

You might try this free sample of MalwareBytes.  I've found it very useful and finally broke down and bought the software.  You can run it for free and then decide whether to buy it, or let the 14 day trial expire.  Just hit "download" instead of "buy."

https://www.malwareb...m/mwb-download/

• von Poop likes this

A Kodiak Bear Mauling (shameless plug): http://www.amazon.co...tmm_pap_title_0

#11 OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer

I Point at Opana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,589 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:28 PM

You aren't by chance using the infamous Internet Exploder (IE Browser)?    It seems far more prone to malware than other browsers. 

You might try this free sample of MalwareBytes.  I've found it very useful and finally broke down and bought the software.  You can run it for free and then decide whether to buy it, or let the 14 day trial expire.  Just hit "download" instead of "buy."

https://www.malwareb...m/mwb-download/

Been running Malwarebyte (paid for) seven years now. 

#12 von Poop

von Poop

Waspish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,397 posts
  • LocationPerfidious Albion

User's Awards

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:46 PM

Malwarebytes rocks.
  • Slipdigit and SDP like this

It's only the Internet...

#13 Otto

Otto

No More Half Measures

• Administrators
  • 8,201 posts
  • LocationFestung Chicago

User's Awards

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:21 PM

It does appear to be on your end Gaines. If you are using explorer I'd absolutely not use it, and another vote for Malwarebytes from me.

Given our history, I'm always skittish when I hear about possible malware issues with this site. The problems we had in the past were entirely due to our hosting company. Thankfully the security holes we previously had are closed, but we still are hosted by the same company, which provides me no comfort in that area. We are moving hosts soonish, and will have a new host with a much better track record that who we have now.

• SDP likes this

Comments, questions or feedback? Contact me at ottomail.png
Twitter_logo_blue_16.png twitter

#14 SDP

SDP

recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:41 PM

It does appear to be on your end Gaines. If you are using explorer I'd absolutely not use it, and another vote for Malwarebytes from me.

Given our history, I'm always skittish when I hear about possible malware issues with this site. The problems we had in the past were entirely due to our hosting company. Thankfully the security holes we previously had are closed, but we still are hosted by the same company, which provides me no comfort in that area. We are moving hosts soonish, and will have a new host with a much better track record that who we have now.

Forgive me for butting into this thread but it gives me a chance to say.....Come on guys and gals. Step up to the plate and facilitate Ottos excellent plan to move to the new software. It's worked a dream over at WW2Talk.com
  • Otto, von Poop, LRusso216 and 1 other like this

#15 Otto

Otto

No More Half Measures

• Administrators
  • 8,201 posts

User's Awards

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:53 PM

Forgive me for butting into this thread but it gives me a chance to say.....Come on guys and gals. Step up to the plate and facilitate Ottos excellent plan to move to the new software. It's worked a dream over at WW2Talk.com

We have enough to set things in motion at this stage. Of course more always helps and would help us move faster, but currently our roadblock is technical. The tech guy who moved WW2Talk accepted a long term engagement and is no longer available to us. The search is on for a capable, reliable technician who can get things done. These types aren't very common and finding one that meets all our needs at a price we can afford has been difficult.

#16 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 12,321 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:56 PM

Been running Malwarebyte (paid for) seven years now.

Me too. Good stuff.

Posted Image

Lou

#17 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 16,627 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:17 AM

I ditched Internerd Exploder several years ago.  Best thing I ever did.  I'm a Chrome user now.

• OpanaPointer likes this

Best Regards,  
JW :slipdigit:

SlidigitAxe.png

#18 gtblackwell

gtblackwell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:28 AM

Thanks for all the advise and insights.  I am on Google Chrome and have  had Bitdefender Internet Security which is highly rated and their top level as my primary anti whatever package. I thought it was working but it is intrusive yet catches  a fair amount of stuff and runs in real time.  I have had Malwarebytes, free, on for years but had forgotten it so I just ran it and it says I had 663  threats , of which 95% were listed as Pub.Optional . Wildstrike or something like that. Anyway they are gone  and Bitdefender may have missed them so will retry  and see if the boxes are gone. That I know little about computers should be self evident ! , says the man who still drafts with wooden pencils , no new fangled mechanical devise for me    !  I use talcum powder on my hands to keep oil of my velum, and fine fine pounce  on the paper itself.....positively archaic   but appropriate for my age bracket (:

I shall report back .

Gaines

Edited by gtblackwell, 02 January 2017 - 12:30 AM.

#19 OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer

I Point at Opana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,589 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:37 AM

I ditched Internerd Exploder several years ago.  Best thing I ever did.  I'm a Chrome user now.

I use IE once on each computer. 

• von Poop likes this

#20 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 12,321 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:31 AM

I ditched it as well. I'm a dedicated Firefox user. Don't care much for Chrome.

Posted Image

Lou

#21 Terry D

Terry D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationHuerta, California

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:44 AM

Just to throw my two cents in, I did not have the problem described but I was absent from this site for a couple of months for technical reasons. Whenever I tried to post during that time, an ad would appear in the text box. This also happened on the WW2talk site. I have Bitdefender and usually use Firefox. I ran Bitdefender frequently, and for some reason the problem just upped and went went away about 2 weeks ago. I suppose Bitdefender finally caught and destroyed it. As you can probably tell I am a technical ignoramus.

#22 TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:51 AM

TOS, am I likely to pass it along ? Especially here. No ad or any other activity than described  has shown up. .   I will stay away until I get it fixed. But you are spot on, it behaves exactly like it wants me to save the topic and not read it.

Thanks,

Gaines

LOL you have two ads on this very page :cool:, most sites, including probably Otto,  "sell" some screen space to advertisers to meet the bill, the problem with that business model is the web master loses a lot of control over his own page as there is an amazing amount of "redirects" and the ads are "served" by some computer he knows little or nothing about.  most of the time the worst the ads do is .... try to push more ads or install some tracking cookie to better profile the user for targetted advertising, so are rather benign and they will not attempt to spread to other computers on the network. The behavior I described is in a grey legal zone, as the user clicked on the original link it's assumed he "requested" all the rest of the garbage,  attempting to infect some other computer would be clearly illegal in some jurisditions and would land the advertiser in hot water.

Truth is the first victim of conflict

#23 Otto

Otto

No More Half Measures

• Administrators
  • 8,201 posts

User's Awards

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:52 AM

I cannot speak for other sites, but no adverts here should auto-download anything. All the ads here go through Google and google alone, and they do not do anything of that sort. I would never use an ad service that did anything like that.

#24 OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer

I Point at Opana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,589 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:20 AM

I run Chrome and Firefox. FF is good for not seeing the ads on Youtube. I also run my mail apps in it, extra security against malicious scripts. I use Chrome because I like it. 

#25 von Poop

von Poop

Waspish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,397 posts
  • LocationPerfidious Albion

User's Awards

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:13 PM

I'd like Chrome so much more if it weren't such a memory hog.
Am unbelievable 4 gig to run it at an optimum sort of usage level, which I'm quite capable of allowing but despite it making phone/desktop syncing so easy, I just object to it's virus-like seizure of resources.

Current Firefox is back to its old 'light' ways, so it's still my favourite.

To be fair, Edge does seem very light on it's toes too, but when the only thing it brings to the table is that weird ability to draw on the screen it's all a bit meh still.

It's only the Internet...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users