Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

POW, Heroic or Not?

Discussion in 'Military History' started by belasar, Jan 17, 2017.

1. belasar

belasar Court Jester

In another thread I and another member briefly debated the nature of being a Prisoner of War in the case of Senator John McCain who spent 6 years a PoW of North Vietnam where he was tortured to turn on his country, but would not break or accept a out of sequence early release ahead of his fellow prisoners.

I hold that his actions, and those of other servicemen and women who fought until their was no reasonable point of continuing resistance or until ordered to by higher authority and then spent the remainder of the conflict as a prisoner of war, are in fact as much hero's as those who were never forced to lay down their arms.

I would like to hear the thoughts of the rest of our rogues.

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

A POW is not automatically a hero. That status should be reserved for those, like McCain, who served honorably then resisted all attempts to break him. I think, especially in WW2, many POWs did not face the same level of terror that he did. I'm not denigrating the suffering of POW's, just the amount of suffering they endured. To give up when there is no alternative does not signify a lack of courage or committment, nor does it automatically confer the status of "hero".

3. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

A good thread!

Wasn't there an incident with McCain on a flight deck of his carrier?

4. freebird

freebird Member

Do we believe that all who serve in combat are "heroes", or did they just do their duty (to their contry)?
    If so, then POW belong in the same category.

McCain is in another category entirely IMO, he was offered early release through his father's connections, but refused.

5. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

6. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Pilots and crewmen really don't have a choice of resisting when shot down behind enemy lines, but regardless how servicemen end up as a POW, it's their actions during their internment that designates their measure of courage. Considering the length and severity of the treatment of POWs in Vietnam Nam, it would take a hell of a lot more courage than I have not to break, and then turn down a ticket home causing even harsher treatment. John McCain fits every definition of " hero". But I have pretty much echoed Lou's post which was well thought out.

7. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

I also agree with Lou.

8. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

IMO it depends on the individual situation. There are many ways one can become a POW. I would like to call them all, but I have read instances where it wasn't warranted.

9. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I'll just say this;

I have a diametrically feeling on this subject compared to DJT !

10. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Did McCain release that bogus russian hooker document about Trump?
    Because that would change my opinion (not that it'd matter) about the guy.

11. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

I think if you are going to categorize some one as a 'Hero' a list of criteria needs to be met.

I think it differs from war to war but the act of surrendering could be rather heroic in some regards but not in others.

I do not know the name anymore, but look at that American Soldier in Iraq or Afghanistant who was 'captured' by the enemy (IE. he surrendered to the enemy) when it turns out he had actually gone AWOL and deserted his post and then endangered the lives of others who were sent out looking for him. In that matter, is being 'captured' considered the same as surrendering? The end result (being a POW) is the same even if they are two different actions.

If you look at German soldiers surrendering to the Russians in WW2, that could be considered heroic given that it was basically a death sentence for many. At the same time, many Germans turned tailed and headed West to surrender to the Allies, which I would consider a non-heroic action as they were essentially trying to save their own skins.

At the same time, you have to look at the actions of POW's while in camp. Is it considered heroic to become a camp informant so that you are treated better and have a better chance at survival? Or those constantly trying to escape...vs those who are just trying to survive and get by until the end of the war? Do wars from different time periods warrant different looks? Different hostile countries who impose harsh/inhumane treatments to their prisoners, does that automatically make then POW's heroic?

I think you'd have to almost make a case by case study instead of using such a broad term. There are definitely heroic surrenders and cowardly surrenders.

12. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

I agree

13. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

A well thought out response. There are many factors to consider before we use the term "hero". It has become common to use it in areas where it doesn't really apply. To use it in a blanket statement is equally incorrect.

14. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Lou nailed it. McCain was a hero, the circumstances of his capture and his actions while a prisoner make it so. Just being a POW does not make one so.

15. belasar

belasar Court Jester

I was not as clear as I wished and that was my error.

I did not mean the simple act of becoming a PoW in itself confirmed Heroic status, but rather those who endured confinement in a PoW camp while maintaining their honor and loyalty to their uniform come what may does.

Think back when was the last time a US service person endured conditions that came close to the Geneva convention requirements consistently?

A Bergdahl or the fictional "King Rat" would not qualify, but surely the vast majority those held in Japanese camps would qualify.

16. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

My father inlaw was a POW in Germany in WWII, he did not think that he was a hero for that.

KTK

17. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

"I think, especially in WW2, many POWs did not face the same level of terror that he did" - I would rather be at the hands of the Russian/Chinese during Vietnam than the Japanese during WW2...The Japanese made them look like amateurs.

18. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

Maintaining any sort of integrity while "in the hands of the enemy" is possibly more difficult than being under fire. But I would agree being a POW doesn't qualify by itself for being heroic, Andrej Andreevič Vlasov's "POW army" is an extreme case but the amount of "allowable" cooperation with the captors is a very tough subject.

19. lwd

lwd Ace

I don't think it's a binary answer at all which is sort of implied by some. To me anyone who willingly enters a situation where their life is at risk to support an ideal or help others qualifies to some extent as a hero. Their actions in that regard can degrade their status though (killing innocents deliberately). But some go above and beyond the minimum. Those who seek to escape (especially repeatedly) or in some other way continue their resistance are a level above that. How much perceived danger and how well they hold to their ideals makes a difference.

20. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Another vote here that Lou nailed it in his first post.
    Can't see that I'd need to add or qualify anything at all in that.