Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII Scottish Regiment Slouch Hats

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by BlackWatch1942, Jan 27, 2017.

1. BlackWatch1942

BlackWatch1942 New Member

Greetings everyone! I am new to this forum, and until just recently I wasn't that interested in WWII, but I started reading on the campaigns like the Burma Campaign and became very interested in the tropical warfare of WWII, not so much the battles in Europe. A few years ago, with my vague (and stereotypical :confused: ) knowledge, I initially only the Aussies wore slouches in WWII which they did, but they were not alone. I realized the British including Scottish Regiments often wore slouch hats in the campaigns like Burma for the heat. I wanted to create this forum to

1. learn more about a Royal Scots Slouch Hat I just purchased on-line (I just bought it and these pictures are from the seller's store)

2. see if any other forum members have any Scottish Slouches (or British in general) to share.

3. to learn more about what their daily use and their use in battle were. I am no WWII nor WWII militaria expert, and have just been interested in the Far East Campaigns recently, and before I mainly focused on the Victorian military campaigns. This thread is specifically for British and preferably Scottish Slouches used during the Far East campaigns.

Pictures below of my Royal Scots Slouch hat, I believe it is other ranks because its very simple in design, no chinstrap unfortunately but other than that the Slouch Hat is in good condition. I've heard that these were worn because of the heat, but also sometimes used in battle? Maybe some experts can help me out with this. I've seen a picture of a Royal Scot Fusilier (different regiment) soldier aiming his machine gun while taking cover in Burma, and he is wearing a slouch. I could appreciate some help to find out if these were sometimes worn in battle or not. Also, if any other posters have any English, Welsh, Irish, Scottish or colonial regiment slouch hats to share I'd love to see some examples you may have in your personal collection. Thanks for reading, have a nice day.

Attached Files:

Otto likes this.
  2. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I'm like you, I always though that the Aussies were the only ones to sport the slouch hat. Learn something new ever day seems like. Nice collection you have there. Looks like that you'll probably be the forum expert on this bit of information, so stick around awhile.

In the meantime, go introduce yourself properly over on the newbies thread. But let me be the first to welcome you to the forums friend!

3. BlackWatch1942

Thank you so much for your warm welcome, I look forward to learning more about the Far East campaigns like Burma, and seeing other people's militaria. I'll go introduce myself in the "newbies" thread as you've suggested.

4. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums!
    It's a myth that only the Aussies wore slouch hats turned down- there are plenty of pictures of British troops doing likewise.

5. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

How did the New Zealanders wear it?

6. BlackWatch1942

Apparently, New Zealanders mostly wore "lemon squeezer" slouches. Here are some examples I found in images.

Attached Files:

7. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I like the second one better. The first one with the high point looks cheaply made, like the WW1 era American campaign hats.

8. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

They always seem to have been worn down, same as the Yank campaign hats.

9. BlackWatch1942

They do look a bit strange, but I think some New Zealanders still wore "normal" slouches, but they wore these hats more often. It does look a lot like an American Campaign hat. But it also sort of looks like a stetson, as used by Canadians and New Zealanders in the Boer War 1899-1902.