We Need Your Help - Become a Site Supporter

For 16 years we've been delivering WWII discussion and research, help support our efforts for the next 16 years. Become a WW2 Forums Patron!

Photo
- - - - -

Life Aboard U-976

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 The_Historian

The_Historian

Pillboxologist

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,655 posts
  • LocationStirling, Scotland

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:28 PM

Some great pics here. The collection is being auctioned-

http://www.dailymail...ul-U-Boats.html

• YugoslavPartisan likes this

Regards,

Gordon

#2 YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan

Drug

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationPannonia

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:18 PM

Awesome collection. Thanks for sharing!

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?” ~ Epicurus

#3 gtblackwell

gtblackwell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • LocationAuburn, Alabama, US

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:41 PM

Great pictures, Gordon. the percent of submariners  that died must be the highest  in any branch of service. The monument  near Kiel conveys the same feeling to me that the Vietnam Memorial in Washington DC does. Of concentrated deaths of so many men. Many monuments are of the celebratory type, but these, Kiel, etc,  are quite the opposite. They are primarily are just sad because they convey the ending of so many young lives but at least they are not forgotten. There is  controversy about ones like this  but they are very moving to me. 

Edited by gtblackwell, 09 February 2017 - 08:39 PM.

#4 OhneGewehr

OhneGewehr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:40 PM

Many monuments are of the celebratory type, but these are just sad because they convey loose. there is  controversy about ones like this  but they are very moving to me. 

Monuments which celebrate dead Nazi-Soldiers are impossible in Germany. Even if there was no relation to the Holocaust possible.

And that's alright. But to remember those men is important.

Far too many died. From 1943 onwards, the standard Type VII and Type IX boats were coffins. Dönitz often sent them out just to keep the Allies busy, which was almost murder.

#5 YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan

Drug

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationPannonia

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:05 AM

I've read somewhere that out of 40,000 men who served in U-boats only 10,000 survived. So that's 75% death rate.

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?” ~ Epicurus

#6 gtblackwell

gtblackwell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • LocationAuburn, Alabama, US

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:23 PM

I believe the KIA ration was a bit  higher than that but will have to look it up.

I would not call the monument at Kiel celebratory but is , to me, powerful and moving.  It list the names of all that died in U-Boat , service chiselled into a stone wall not unlike the Vietnam one. . To see so many names of mostly young men  together truly saddened me. . Wars are beyond description, as are Nazis and theses sailors caused many deaths themselves  but they were still sailors all. 

The Kiel site now has a U-Boat  to visit as well but I was there before it. I have visited the Germany military cemetery   North of Strasburg at Neiderborn-le-Bains in france . It is not celebratory as well but rather peaceful. In a grove of trees and well maintained fields  the graves marked by a brown stones, some 14,000 plus.  It does have a partially sunken building  with light coming in from above.  Both peaceful and again sad.  

#7 OhneGewehr

OhneGewehr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:18 PM

3 out of 4 is roughly correct.

In Lothar-Günther Buchheims famous novel "Das Boot" the captain was called "Der Alte" (=the old one) by the crew. In fact he was 28 years old...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users