Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

British Army Casulty list wound types

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by milnerp, Feb 20, 2017.

1. milnerp

milnerp New Member

My father was wounded during the invastion of Sicily and his name is on the British army casulty list for the 1st August 1943. Beside all the names is a handwritten number, in my fathers case it is 584, some of the same numbers are repeated for different men.

The list has Regiment, service number, Rank, name, (the written number)

I am assuming that this is the type of wound they have, but it could be something else.

Numbers 581, 582, 583, 584,602

Does anyone know for sure or have a list of wound type or know what this number is.

Thanks in advance

2. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Member

British Army Casualty Lists 1939-1945
    http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/british-army-casualty-lists-1939-1945

Each record will display both a transcript and an original image. The original images are held at The National Archives in Surrey and have been digitised and indexed for Findmypast. The information in the transcripts can vary, but most will include the following:

Name

Year

Capture year

Service number

Rank

Rank as transcribed – This is the rank as it was transcribed from the document. Most records use abbreviations for rank and regiment. The previous rank field is the abbreviation expanded in full.

Regiment

Regiment as transcribed – This field was created similarly to rank as transcribed. See above explanation.

Theatre of war

Archive reference

Piece description

Archive

The image can provide you with additional information such as a date of death or a notation regarding an individual’s prior listing (i.e. if the person was listed previously as missing or a prisoner of war).

You may have annotations written next to your ancestor’s name. The letter ‘L’ or ‘CL’ and a number or a number on its own refers to another casualty list. The casualty lists are numbered. Use the previous/next buttons to move through the documents to view other list numbers.

TD