Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Project 57. Spitfire Mk Vll

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by royalflyingcorp, Feb 23, 2017.

1. royalflyingcorp

royalflyingcorp New Member

Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire VIII converted to a Mk VII high altitude fighter. I like the slightly different colour scheme and although not a fan of the pointed tips on a Spit I think it looks ok in this case.The model was based on a series of photographs in the book “Spitfire in Combat” by Alfred Price which show Spitfire VIIs of 131 Squadron at RAF Harrowbeer in the spring of 1944.
    The model is built pretty much straight from the box with detailing on the engine from wire and sprue, I made the long compressor intake on the starboard cowling from plastic tube and sprue, added the pressurized canopy rails from scrap plastic card and added some detail to the cockpit.

Attached Files:

2. Takao

Takao Ace

All I can say is "Wow!"

Love the engine detail and weathering.

Prospero Quevedo likes this.
  3. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Superb!

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Possibly the best ive seen...

5. royalflyingcorp

royalflyingcorp New Member

Thank you very much for the kind comments. I cant deny this project started off as a labor of love but quickly turned into a real test of my modelling patience. After a series of mishaps and accidents, in which one was my dog destroying the only copy of engine blueprints i had and his desire to put his own unique mark on the poor Spit by biting clean through the starboard wing!
    I almost gave up and admitted defeat. But a good tip someone once told me was if you find yourself at the point of absolute frustration, just put the whole project on the shelf and come back to it after a good break with a clear head and fresh attitude/outlook. And being one never to admit defeat i finally got the job done. Better late than never i guess.

Thanks again my friends

CAC likes this.