Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2F Site Migration Update

Discussion in 'WWII Forums News' started by Otto, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I've been busy pushing things along and thanks to all you generous Patrons we are in motion. A whole lot will be going on, so I'll list a few of the highlights here.

New Server/New Web Host
    The new server has been purchased and is in place. It is a top tier physical machine that will hosting this WWII Forums site alone. Many hosting plans are virtual servers and/or share space with other websites, which by their nature subject all sites to the woes of any one site. We are a standalone setup at a new host I trust a bit more that where we are now.

New Forum Software
    The new XenForo software is purchased and ready to go. We will be using the safe software as WW2Talk and it will be a huge improvement over what we use now.

Technical Resource Hired
    I've retained the services of a technical guru to handle the migration. I am extremely happy with his ability and track record. He has imported over 1 billion (not a typo!) posts into the XenForo platform, we are in good hands. Testing is being conducted now, and we are probably two weeks or so away from the move.

Forum Restructuring
    Over the years the forum structure has gotten a bit bloated. Once we move to the new site we will be overhauling the forums and sub-forums to be a bit clearer to navigate.

Safe Harbor Forum Imports
    I previously mentioned that during our migration the WWII discussion board War44.com was going to be imported into our existing forum to preserve the data and keep it accessible. While I was grinding through the technical requirements to make this happen, another admin of a very strong WWII forum approached me to to the same for his site. This is all very sudden, and our new tech guru is reviewing the feasibility of importing not one but two forum databases. So far, all signs point to this being possible, so will have an influx of members and posts once our move is complete. I'll share more details about this second import as the details and feasibility are confirmed.

WW2.org Integration
    As we move into a stronger, better platform, we will be better able to integrate with ww2.org, which will be the repository for all the research we do here on the WWII Forums. The site will serve as an encyclopedia of WWII knowledge and as a repository of WWII manuals, books, studies and the like.

There are at least two more items I'm eager to reveal, but I'll wait until the deeds are done to announce them. I've plenty on my plate right now to keep me busy. Thanks again to all the generous Patrons, you've help make us a better place for WWII research.

dbf, TD-Tommy776, Biak and 6 others like this.
  2. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

That is wonderful news! Thanks for the update and all the hard work you do. I am not financially able to contribute at this time. Read: I'm unemployed and dirt poor. Lol! :)

3. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

Bravo

4. Owen

Owen O

Tried to like post but...You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

SDP likes this.
  5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Looking forward to the new setup, Otto.

6. Otto

I cannot tell you how eager I am to move on. The current system contains countless frustrating configuration quirks and omitted features that should be available. XenForo will be so much better on the administrator side it will undoubtedly safe me a few gray hairs, and save a few hairs pulled out altogether.

All the nice features we had previously will be back, including the graphics gallery, the organized smilie gallery, the Cooler, etc.

7. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Excited for the new setup.

Make sure you setup a nice couch for Poppy.

Otto likes this.
  8. Otto

All he gets is a baseball and glove.

Buten42 likes this.
  9. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Screw Poppy (no offense buddy we're still friends) Jugs deserves the baseball and glove. Though he may now be the kinder, gentler FormerJarhead (typo intentional, hey poke the shark when you can. Never know I might just get to be the coolers first new resident!), Formerjughead will always be THE COOLER KING!

[​IMG]

formerjughead and Slipdigit like this.
  10. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

And then there's the equivalent of being allowed out in the yard, but having your bat taken away in specific areas.

View attachment 25605

Thread ban.
    Never used it on 2T, possibly because Chris/VolgaB is no longer with us, but my time will come!
    Maybe I'll request to be banned from certain politicking threads here...

XF is good.

Attached Files:

11. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'm all ready to go, and looking forward to the new digs.

I like the granular banning potential.

Adam, don't summon the kraken. Its been so relatively peaceful for so long.

Buten42 likes this.
  12. Otto

There are so many obviously helpful admin functions that remind me of all the nicer bits of vbulletin, the platform where we had the Cooler. It stands to reason as the people that coded vB are the same crew who made XenForo.

USMCPrice you are correct Formerjughead is the undisputed Cooler King, but I think Poppy will is going to give him a run for his money.

13. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

:lol:
    I did actually have that very thought as I typed...

14. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

Thanks Otto, I doubt that we really understand just how much of your time that you give to us.

Most appreciated.

KTK

15. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Thanks for the update, Otto. I am anxiously awaiting the migration. FWIW, I checked and can confirm that "migration" and "migraine" have completely unrelated etymologies.

16. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Also looking forward. ..A couch for poppy. Nice. It would be fair then, to have safe spaces as well...Because- words, thoughts are dangerous things.

In the beginning -WW2F was vicious. Some really sharp words...Then the era of mod censorship took over.
    The site was pretty much ruled by 20-30 dudes.
    It was fairly closed, and a lot of people didn't post for fear of a brow beating.
    Juggs pushed the envelope, and was relentlessly punished because, sniff- words.
    Maybe Juggs is our Rosa Parks. (sorry- probably burned another bridge there)

There have been some truly great sites that have been wrecked because of censorship.
    Reddit, FB and others...Blood oil countries buy up media, then use them to create dissension/propagate their nutty ideas, and try to divide us (men in womens changerooms - etc etc)
    They now spin or omit real news.
    Many news sites have disabled or restricted the comment sections...because they would lose control of the narrative.
    They only wanted their version of the news, not how we perceive current events.

Three cheers for Otto/WW2F, who allows free speech.

Pretty sure some here complain and try to take me out, suppress what i have to say (right or wrong)...
    Have learned- can only please some of the people some of the time.
    Pretty sure there are more here- who like me, than dislike me...just that lefty is more prone to being vocal and act out.

Unsure what granular banning means...Could some explain like i'm 5 (or a smart 4).

17. Otto

I was hoping to keep things in this thread related to the progress of the site, but I'm happy to address this and move forward.

I don't recall a time when the site was actually "vicious". Over 17+ years the membership and culture has ebbed and flowed. I don't agree with you about the era paradigm you describe, but I'm sure that any "20 to 30 dudes" that posted here regularly would have a strong influence over the culture, heck 25 people would have influence anywhere they went.

"Censorship" is an odd thing. By definition neither this site nor I are actually capable of censoring anyone. Now more than ever in history, we all have the ability to create websites and publish whatever we please. I have no influence over anyone's ability to express themselves, save for this single website. The best legal analogy I've heard for a message board is a chalkboard sitting on a lawn. The owner of said chalkboard can invite others to come by and write on the board, draw pictures, whatever. At the end of the day, the owner of that chalkboard can do whatever they please with it. They can erase every second word, add to the text, wipe over a particular writer's massage and leave all others, translate the entire thing into Italian, douse the board in kerosene and set it ablaze, etc. No one is mandated to use that board, and no one is prevented from buying their own. That person who bought the chalkboard and supplied the chalk is master of their chalky domain.

That said, I think we do a very good job leaving visitors to write what they please and not editing or erasing their scribes. Those who know me well are aware of the unreasonable focus I have for keeping data online in it's original form. In fact no posts actually get deleted here, even spam posts get thrown into a hidden area called "The Latrine" where no one can see them. The Safe Harbor Initiative is essentially my effort to seek out defunct forums to save and maintain their members and their posts. The realities of running a site like this force some small amount of content management, but by and large we let the adults act like adults.

As for free speech, it's yes. Obviously it's yes, but as I stated above, I don't have much say in that here.

Poppy, I can't say I've seen evidence that someone is "trying to take you out, or suppress what you have to say". Although I have seen you get heated at times, I don't think anyone here dislikes you as you suggested above. I don't think too many people carry these online discussion around or take them to bed in their heads, and if they do they should take a break from the site. It's only the internet after all.

Granular banning means we can block a user from specific parts of the site, rather than the all-or-nothing binary options we have now. The new site will allow banning from a forum, or even form a single thread. I'm sure you can see the usefulness of this. :D

TD-Tommy776 and Poppy like this.
  18. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Always something new to learn.

19. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Thanks for the direction. ..i know i've come close to the edge.
    I'll take a time out.

Otto likes this.
  20. Otto

The move might be happening over the next 48 hours or so. Some small items being ironed out, but initial test imports have been successful.

Mussolini likes this.