Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Steven J. Fialkowski 11th IR/L-CO.

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by TOMMAHAWK, Mar 1, 2017.

1. TOMMAHAWK

TOMMAHAWK New Member

[SIZE=medium] Hello all and thank you for letting me post[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium] My name is Tom and I am looking for information on my Grandfather, [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium] T/5 Steven J. Fialkowski, he was with the 5th[/SIZE] infantry Division/11[SIZE=small]th[/SIZE] Infantry Regiment/3[SIZE=small]rd[/SIZE] Battalion/ L.-Co. He enlisted in 12-10-1940 (ASN-15013924)
    [SIZE=medium] I started looking for information back in 2004, and I wish I had pursued it a little harder, as I found an old book that had 3 of Grandpa’s buddies Listed in there in there.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium] I found the names of his buddies on some photos that I have (Peter P.Puza, Joseph McGowan and Frank J.Scarmack all in L.-Co.)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium] They were alive at the time, but have now passed on, this would have been a world of information, I could of never have gotten from a book[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]I will try looking up the next of kin, I think I might possibly be able to , but then again, I do not know if it is right to contact them asking for information?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium] Unfortunately they claim that his records have been burned up in a fire of 73 in St. Louis. So nowhere there[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Is there another way to obtain his records?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium] I have talked to a Historian I do believe by the name of Keith B. Short from the 5Th[/SIZE] Division Society, back when I first started my search on information
    [SIZE=medium] He sent me a few extracts from the 11th[/SIZE] Regimental Book that is now out of print. And he did verify that Steven was defiantly in the unit as described above
    [SIZE=medium] I still am looking for any and all information I can get about Steven (Grandpa) I am trying to find Morning Report’s, and possibly After Action Reports[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium] I would like to even narrow down what Platoon and Squad grandpa was with.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]I would like to know what awards he received.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium] I did happen to buy the Book Index to General Orders 11[/SIZE][SIZE=small]th[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] Infantry[/SIZE], to find such awards that might have been earned by my Grandfather.
    [SIZE=medium] It list on Page 48 Failkowski, Steven J., T-5, Company L, 11th Infantry.5th[/SIZE] Division CIB, EIB (GO#7 1944, 11 INF) (GO#26, 1944, 11 INF.) I have no Idea what the General Orders where that are listed and the E-mail address for the person to contact in the book is no longer valid (E-Mail:guestions@ddaymilitarria.com)
    [SIZE=medium] I have several pictures and an Iceland certificate and a Purple Heart that is all that is left of gramps, I would love to know the rest of the story , unfortunately grandpa died in 1980, before I really started asking him questions.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium] I Hope to retire soon and would really like to walk the footsteps that my grandfather walked in France. Germany during WW2[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium] I have read the Fifth Division in the ETO, I did happen to access from a library the 11Th[/SIZE] infantry ,5[SIZE=small]th[/SIZE] Division European theater book that is so hard to find
    [SIZE=medium]I believe I will have to photo copy that one, and I just won ( E-Bay)a 11th[/SIZE] infantry regiment Pictorial History of Ft Custer 1941 , with the hopes that it will have more information in it.
    [SIZE=medium] I know last time I started searching and was shot down, this time, time is running down , I will somehow find out more information[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium] I would like to take the time to all that has helped in the past and all that possibly will be able to happen[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium] Thank You[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium] Thomas Stanek[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium] View attachment 25631 View attachment 25632 View attachment 25633 stanekjr@sbcglobal.net[/SIZE]

Attached Files:

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I think it is good that you are taking into consideration the wishes of the families. I don't think there is a problem reaching out to them as long as you respect that they may not be interested.

Not really. You could check with the county recorder's office in the county where he would have lived after the War. Soldiers were advised to put a copy of their discharge papers on file there.

Morning Reports and AARs are probably your best bet for tracking his service. The Army MRs are held at the NARA in St. Louis. Good news is that they were not affected by the fire that destroyed many of the personnel files. The bad news is that the NARA does not take requests for copies of MRs. You need to go there in person or hire a researcher to get the MRs for you.

That's a difficult task and may require more luck than effort. MRs are typically Company level reports and don't give the platoon/squad info, at least I've not seen any that do. Your best bet may be finding someone who has been researching Company L for several years and hopefully has interviewed some of the veterans. They may be able to help you in figuring that out.

You should be able to request a set of replacement medals from the NARA. The it uses the same procedure as requesting his personnel records. They may not send you actual medals, but should at least provide a list.
    CIB = Combat Infantryman Badge awarded via the 11th Infantry's GO #7 issued in 1944.

EIB = Expert Infantryman Badge awarded via the 11th Inf. GO #26 issued in 1944.

The 11th Infantry GOs would be held by NARA in College Park, MD. The thread Unit Operational Records (especially the first 2 posts) will explain the process of requesting unit records from College Park. The AARs are also at College Park.

3. TOMMAHAWK

TOMMAHAWK New Member

Still looking for any and all information on L-Company
    I had a person look up the Co Morning Reports for L-Co. and have Complied a list of locations for L-Co. and also going through the Morning Reports and looking at all personnel . Wow a lot of misspelled, not correct ASN#, and some Morning Reports are not even ledge able , but I have gone through about a months worth and will keep going till I get through them
    Was there a Co. Level after action Report and if so where would I be able to find one
    I have gotten the Morning Reports though Golden Arrow
    Also If my grand father was in the Nation Guard before he was assn. to the 11th Inf , Were would you look for that info?
    thank you
    Tom Stanek

4. TOMMAHAWK

TOMMAHAWK New Member

Picture of Steven Fialkowski and his bud Peter Puza both in L-Company , I am still trying to figure out what Platoon and or Combat Team he was with
    he also paled around with Joe,McGowan and Frank Scarmack, I have some pictures of them but i guess the pictures are to large
    Mt Grandfather is the guy on the left of the picture.
    grampa f2345 001.jpg to up-load

5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Tom, the quality and amount of info on a MR depends a lot on the person preparing them. I've seen some with a lot of detailed info as to activities, and other's (like my great uncle's TD unit) which just has "On combat mission". I have seen them reference activities of particular platoons, but have not seen any that have platoon rosters. As for the legibility, well, they are over 70 years old. I've run into that with every set of MRs I have gotten.

If you are able to contact family members of his buddies, you may get lucky and find that one or more of them have written memoirs. It may be a bit of a long shot, but you never know. I have only been able to determine the platoon/squad of one relative, and that was through making contact with a family member of another vet of his Company. It worked out great because we were able to exchange info, so there was a mutual benefit.

I have not seen Company level AARs, but I cannot say that they don't exist. If they did, they would be somewhere in the records at NARA College Park. I have seen Battalion level reports which reference the activities of the Companies under their command. Again, College Park would probably have them if they exist.

What did GAR provide regarding his joining L/11IR? Usually they provide the MR which records the unit from which he was transferred. If you don't have that info, you could look at National Guard units that were near where he was living at the time. That would be the most likely unit or units that he would join.