Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

DAG-10 grenade launcher and Il-2

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Kai-Petri, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

http://www.vectorsite.net/avil2.html

On Il-2

Another weapon was the DAG-10 grenade launcher, an odd "aerial-mine" device that would eject grenades on little parachutes in the path of a pursuer and which, surprisingly, Soviet records say was very effective.

Anyone got any pics or any stats on its effectiveness?

2. TA152

TA152 Ace

3. chocapic

chocapic Member

Hello

There are reports of 10 charge DAG-10 used on IL2, IL10 and also Pe2.

It is very hard to say whether these weapons have been widely used or not (there also are reports of reversed RS-82 rocket launchers, supposed to be fired backwards at attacking fighters...).

One thing is sure, is that there are almost (read almost) no German reports at all of planes destroyed with this device, or even about this device being a threat (on contrary there are many reports on how the fighters could avoid the defensive MGs arc of fire).

Therefore I think this device was not widespread, and I'm almost sure it was in no way a standard on the Pe2 (even later series).

About efficiency, again, I really doubt it was a usefull device, if it was, I think we would see many reports of German fighters having troubles with the aerial mines, and the devices would have been a standard in VVS and probably copied in other air forces.

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Thanx Chocapic!

I was rather expecting this kind of results as I havenĀ“t either seen much info by the Germans on this kind of anti-aircraft devices on Il-2 etc.