Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Dutch airforce during Malaya/Singapore campaign (41/42)

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by chocapic, Jan 11, 2007.

1. chocapic

chocapic Member

Folks I have no reference at disposal on this subject.

I have found contradictory informations on the web (which is not surprising).

I wonder if the Dutch airforce flew missions over Malaya or Singapore during this campaign (not protection over the seas), if positive what kind of mission, which planes were used (most probably curtiss hawks or buffaloes, what a zoo ;) , bombers I don't know) and where was their base(s).

2. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

I'm totally guessing, but I seem to remember reading something neons ago..Dutch aircraft flying out of Java???

3. chocapic

chocapic Member

I know the closest Dutch airbases were located at Sumatra (and perhaps) also in Java.

I have heard of missions flown at the very begining of the war, over Malaya and southern Thailand, but I can't find sources.

If some of you have a Curtiss Hawk monography, it may include some information.

4. Stevin

Stevin Ace

I have some info on this at home. The Dutch air force flew, afair, buffalo's and some waterplanes too. The did claim some Japanese zero's but also had heavy losses. I don't think they flew much outside the Indonesian archipello. however, but I could be wrong...

5. Ali Morshead

Ali Morshead Member

Find Chris Shore's "Bloody Shambles", covers the entire S E Asia Air War.

From memory, Dutch MB139 Bombers based out of Sembawang on Singapore as well as sorties from Sumatra which is not that far away.

Dutch Catalinas also flew out of Singapore

6. chocapic

chocapic Member