We Need Your Help - Become a Site Supporter

For 16 years we've been delivering WWII discussion and research, help support our efforts for the next 16 years. Become a WW2 Forums Patron!

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

What have you been watching?

• Please log in to reply
3257 replies to this topic

#3226 Poppy

Poppy

grasshopper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,252 posts
  • LocationShambhala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv9DwzU3KP0

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:25 PM

Mountain Men. Another show that seems kind of pure... Dudes are way out in the middle of nowhere...i couldn't be like that. Depending on a ratty old snowmobile /airplane to get you back home. Tom is my hero. Old dude acting like a young dude. His brother is a falconer. ..But, pretty sure tv will ruin good tv like it always does.

XX

#3227 André7

André7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:00 AM

They could have made OI a decent show without trying to script stuff in. Plenty of good history.

There is plenty of good history there, but it is presented in such a disjointed and half assed way... I am not criticizing the Laguna's for monetarizing their investment. It's the smart approach. Given that the treasure may not exist or still be there, they have to protect their investment.  They may actually find a treasure, but they have to weigh its value against the cost of finding it. The Nova Scotia govenment has pretty strict policies and laws about treasure hunting. The whole thing (the treasure and artifacts found) will probably fall into litigation and be seized by the province to place in museums.

For season 4 they tapped the government of Nova Scotia and telefilm Canada for over a million dollars in grant money to underwrite the production costs of the show. The rest of the budget probably comes from the History channel. So in effect the Laguna brothers aren't really spending much money out of pocket. We Canadian tax payers are the ones paying for all this.

Maybe its good for the province's image and for  tourism and maybe not. I was in Nova Scotia last summer and went up to the foot of the causewway where there is a big "No Tresspassing" sign. There really isn't much to see. There are organized tours of the island if you plan ahead of time and sign up. I can't imagine a walk around the island can last more than an hour. It's a really small place.

#3228 André7

André7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:19 AM

This week I watched a documentary on Netflix caleed "What Our Fathers Did: A Nazi Legacy" (2015) (or "My Nazi Legacy")

It was very disturbing to see the son of a mass murderer in denial like that.

#3229 Dave55

Dave55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:55 PM

Allied

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3640424/

I liked it. Good plot with some twists. I liked the period clothes and vehicles, especially the Citroen Tractions and Lysanders. Some parts were a bit farfetched for WWII buffs like us but good entertaining movie. Romantic part was pretty good too. Did I actually just say that?  Good date night movie.

I give it a solid B

Edited by Dave55, 10 December 2016 - 03:13 PM.

"Are you guys ready? Let's roll!" Todd Beamer, Sept 11, 2001

#3230 KJ Jr

KJ Jr

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:25 AM

This week I watched a documentary on Netflix caleed "What Our Fathers Did: A Nazi Legacy" (2015) (or "My Nazi Legacy")

It was very disturbing to see the son of a mass murderer in denial like that.

Intersting and disturbing documentary. While Frank's son accepts and loathes his father for his part, the other simple denies it. Even finds comfort in a group of Neo-Nazis.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Einstein

#3231 Poppy

Poppy

grasshopper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:46 AM

Last episode of Oak Island...Can never get that hour back...brutal tv. Yawn...Terrible tv. ..Can we get some battlebotts or something intellectually stimulating...

XX

#3232 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts
  • LocationKotka,Finland

User's Awards

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:50 PM

Tali-Ihantala 1944 and Downfall. Still like both alot. The actors are incredible.

Posted Image

#3233 Poppy

Poppy

grasshopper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:41 AM

Time for the CBC to stand on its own legs. They continually beg the government for money. The news has deteriorated into left speak...The cbc is so left, it walks in circles.

Tired of their propaganda and waste.

Who pays the CBC's legal bill... jg is a freak, who fit right in at the cbc. Until, you know- he was exposed. Then he became a bad guy.

https://www.thestar....n-ghomeshi.html

Edited by Poppy, 17 December 2016 - 02:46 AM.

XX

#3234 YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan

Drug

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationPannonia

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:27 AM

Watched Island in the Sky (1953) with John Wayne this morning. https://en.wikipedia...Sky_(1953_film)

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?” ~ Epicurus

#3235 Poppy

Poppy

grasshopper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:06 PM

Saw True Grit - the newer one with Jeff Bridges...It was entertaining.

Saw the old one yesterday with John Wayne, and Glenn Campbell (lol).

Robert Duvall, Dennis Hopper too...Too long.

Hearing the dialogue, the way they spoke - the writers really tried to replicate the speech of the day. And there were a couple good turns of phrase.

JW made his Winchester(?) rifle look like a childs cap gun. Looked like he may have used 2 different models. One had the large reloading ring for gloves, the other (up in the cliffs) had the regular type(?).

Remember going to the drive in with Pa, and seeing JW's last picture- McQ.

Edited by Poppy, 26 December 2016 - 09:17 PM.

XX

#3236 WW2HistoryGal

WW2HistoryGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:55 PM

Intersting and disturbing documentary. While Frank's son accepts and loathes his father for his part, the other simple denies it. Even finds comfort in a group of Neo-Nazis.

I watched this documentary a few weeks ago, too. Also watched the documentary, Hitler's Children for the second time. My 16-yr-old daughter wanted to watch it. To see the grandson of the Auschwitz commandant go there for the first time on the same day a group of kids from Israel is touring the place is hard to watch. 

Author of Nebraska POW Camps: World War II Prisoners of War in the Heartland / Available from The History Press and Amazon.com

My World War 2 Reviews Blog: Best of World War 2

#3237 WW2HistoryGal

WW2HistoryGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:56 PM

Finished Season 2 of The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime. Hands down, the best show on any TV medium right now. It's incredibly well done from sets and costumes to the actors' performances...I cannot recommend it highly enough. 

Author of Nebraska POW Camps: World War II Prisoners of War in the Heartland / Available from The History Press and Amazon.com

#3238 stgrhe

stgrhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKhon Kaen, Thailand

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:51 PM

The French, German and Italian production 'Lacombe, Lucien' from 1974. This film is a true story of the young man, Lucien Lacombe, who joins the German Police in France. It is a very different movie compared to all other French WWII movies I have watched.

#3239 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts
  • LocationKotka,Finland

User's Awards

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:08 PM

Just got the movie "Sevastopol". Great artwork but we´ll see about the movie soon.

Posted Image

#3240 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts
  • LocationKotka,Finland

User's Awards

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:22 PM

After reading about the battles I know the Soviets had at least one or two 5-7 sized and high in floors bunkers so the Germans were already in trouble with those. Wonder if this is in any view of the film. The big guns hit these a couple of times but recall that they only had ca 7-8 ammo to use per gun might be wrong. The Soviets blew the bunkers themselves as they realized they could not keep the enemy away. The end result sill stayed the same.

Posted Image

#3241 André7

André7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:43 AM

Just got the movie "Sevastopol". Great artwork but we´ll see about the movie soon.

What a coincidence. My copy arrived two days ago. I saw a couple of clips on You Tube and wanted to see it.

I just watched "Burnt By The Sun" and "Burnt By The Sun 2" (part one). I'm going to watch the second part of "Burnt 2" (subtitled Citadel) in a couple of days. I loved both films, but I can understand why fans of the first film could be put off by the second. The first reminds me of something like Peter Weir's "Picknic At Hanging Rock" in terms of pace and tone. Bewitching and disurbing with a devastating endind. The second movie is a complete departure into a different direction. But I loved it. I had to take it as a different film, not a direct sequel.

If you haven't seen either I highly recommend them but be warned that they are connected only by the most tenuous story thread.

Edited by André7, 01 January 2017 - 08:44 AM.

#3242 Poppy

Poppy

grasshopper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:54 PM

According to Oak Island- a huge breakthrough is contained in the next episode...Last episode- they found a railroad spike in the swamp they drained. yee ha...They also found 1 long wooden plank...how exciting is that...the wood from 'the vault' had circular saw marks. Yeah, so no- they have not found anything that could not have been salted...but i'll watch next episode. It is much more entertaining/informing than the kardashebutts.

• André7 likes this

XX

#3243 WW2HistoryGal

WW2HistoryGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:23 PM

Operation Pacific with John Wayne and Patricial Neal. A little clunky. I now know why it took me so long to watch it. Just isn't as good as some of John Wayne's other WW2 movies like They Were Expendable or Sands of Iwo Jima.

#3244 Belasar

Belasar

Court Jester

• Administrators
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:42 AM

According to Oak Island- a huge breakthrough is contained in the next episode...Last episode- they found a railroad spike in the swamp they drained. yee ha...They also found 1 long wooden plank...how exciting is that...the wood from 'the vault' had circular saw marks. Yeah, so no- they have not found anything that could not have been salted...but i'll watch next episode. It is much more entertaining/informing than the kardashebutts.

Yet ultimately unsatisfying. 

When they use the phrase 'Oak Island theorists' for the fourth time I start having 'Ancient Alien' flashbacks. Their great find was small shards of wood in the 'chamber'.

Wars are rarely fought in black and white, but in infinite shades of grey

(Poppy is occasionaly correct, or so I hear)

#3245 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 12,216 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:13 AM

Got caught up in "The Man in the High Castle". Generally not a fan of alernative history, but the production is pretty good.

Posted Image

Lou

#3246 Poppy

Poppy

grasshopper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:53 PM

Bella, the commercial for next episode of oak island seems to indicate, unlike all previous episodes -lol- that there is a significant discovery next episode.

XX

#3247 stgrhe

stgrhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKhon Kaen, Thailand

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:40 AM

East/West from 1999. This is a post-war co-production between Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, France, and Spain.

The story is about the Russian emigrants that fled Russia after the revolution and now, post second world war, were invited to return to Russia and become Soviet citizens. Most of those who returned were executed. A well played and interesting film worth watching.

#3248 KJ Jr

KJ Jr

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:41 PM

Watched Denial last night. 

I was concerned that such a movie would not translate to screen but I was very satisfied with their portrayal. Excellent film. Not action packed of course. Not a typical courtroom drama either. There could have been more trial scenes and  displaying of the evidence but I feel they achieved the most important aspects of the case. The acting was amazing. Great cast. Weisz and Spall played Lipstadt and Irving flawlessly. I would highly recommend this film for the importance of the message it sends and it's art.

Edited by KJ Jr, 11 January 2017 - 03:48 PM.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Einstein

#3249 André7

André7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:11 PM

Just watched "Tokyo Trial" about the International war crimes tribunal in Tokyo from 1945 to 1948. A deeply flawed process controlled by the American supreme commander and the British judge.

I couldn't help but feel there was more to the story than what was shown - how the 28 men to be judged were selected, how thye three charges were arrived at, all the other Japanese officers who were judged in seperate courts and their stories... ETc.

Nevertheless it was a very well done 4 episode arc.

#3250 André7

André7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:15 PM

Am half way through the television movie "Naked Among Wolves" 

Is it based on the same story as "Son Of Saul"? and "The Grey Zone" Are these three related? Ineach case a child is found and protected by other inmates in a death camp. In two of the cases it seems the incident happens just before a major attempt at revolt against the Germans. Are these three seperate incidents?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users