We Need Your Help - Become a Site Supporter

For 16 years we've been delivering WWII discussion and research, help support our efforts for the next 16 years. Become a WW2 Forums Patron!

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

What have you been watching?

• Please log in to reply
3289 replies to this topic

#26 The_Historian

The_Historian

Pillboxologist

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,628 posts
  • LocationStirling, Scotland

Posted 05 April 2004 - 03:05 PM

The original Alamo was on British tv yesterday. Still a classic.

Regards,
Gordon

Regards,

Gordon

#27 Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:15 AM

THC ran Band of Brothers over the past week. Wow!

Say what you will about Ambrose but without his book, the amazing story of Easy Company would never have been filmed.

[ 21. April 2004, 02:42 AM: Message edited by: Deep Web Diver ]
This information has been posted for non-commercial, educational, and research purposes.
- - - -
"The world will little note nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here." - Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 19, 1863
- - - -
"The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past." - William Faulkner

#28 Eisenhower

Eisenhower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 07:38 PM

just finished band of brothers for the 3rd or 4th time, and i'm still trying to finish "the longest day" for the first time (just dont have enough time nowadays)
You are about to embark on the great crusade towards which we have striven these many months - Eisenhower

#29 Martin Bull

Martin Bull

Acting Wg. Cdr

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,265 posts
  • LocationLondon, England.

Posted 04 May 2004 - 07:48 PM

Still suffering from 'Pearl Harbor' aftereffects....ummmhhh....errrrhhhh.... BAAARRRFFFF!! :( :( :(
"Stand by to pull me out of the seat if I get hit" - Guy Gibson

#30 Friedrich

Friedrich

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 08:08 PM

I just saw Captain Corelli's Mandolin on A&E. Wow!

It is very good. You get to love the Italians! And it is much better than the book at some parts. smile.gif

Still suffering from 'Pearl Harbor' aftereffects....ummmhhh....errrrhhhh.... BAAARRRFFFF!!

Well, Martin. The film is crap. But at least give it a try to the bombing. That part's good. And you'll be happy in the end when the characters suffer a lot. :D tongue.gif
"War is less costly than servitude, the choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd, French veteran of both world wars

"A mon fils: depuis que tes yeux sont fermes les miens n’ont cessé de pleurir." - Mère française, Verdun

#31 Friedrich

Friedrich

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 08:11 PM

Just watched last week Serguéi Eisenstein's "The Potemkin battleship". :eek: Wow! :eek: For a 1927, propaganda film it is more than amazing. It's simply shockening and incredibly beautiful!

The scene of the pram going down Odessa's stairs is dramatic as hell —but Brian De Palma ruined it in his version in "The Untouchables"... graemlins/no.gif

Watch it. If you haven't watched it, then you just haven't watched what a real film is.
"War is less costly than servitude, the choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd, French veteran of both world wars

"A mon fils: depuis que tes yeux sont fermes les miens n’ont cessé de pleurir." - Mère française, Verdun

#32 FramerT

FramerT

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 10:18 PM

Gee whizz Martin,do you hate "Pearl Harbor" that BAD?? How about a couple hours of " Friends" for a nightcap? graemlins/no.gif graemlins/no.gif
Posted Image

#33 Eisenhower

Eisenhower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 12:06 AM

or a 3 hour finale of "american idol"? :eek: haha
You are about to embark on the great crusade towards which we have striven these many months - Eisenhower

#34 Martin Bull

Martin Bull

Acting Wg. Cdr

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,265 posts
  • LocationLondon, England.

Posted 05 May 2004 - 04:04 AM

Friedrich, even if the characters were slowly pulled apart limb-from-limb, they couldn't have suffered more than I did in the first 45 minutes..... :mad:
"Stand by to pull me out of the seat if I get hit" - Guy Gibson

#35 TA152

TA152

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 05:14 AM

I have to agree with you General, Battleship Potmekin is a great film even with no sound !
The scene with the side of beef with all the magots on it was good too. Makes you want to turn vegetatarian or something. :eek:

And I have to agree with you also Martin, Pearl Harbor was rather nauseous and down right dumb. :mad:
I need a bailout of only $500,000

#36 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,628 posts
  • LocationKotka,Finland

User's Awards

Posted 05 May 2004 - 12:04 PM

Been watching some documentary:

German War Files, The - Dive Bombers And Combat Aircraft Of World War II

Excellent footage with loadsa Stukas flying around. And some colour footage on Rudel and Galland together.Excellent!

;)

http://www.bensons-w...00000088669.asp
Posted Image

#37 Onthefield

Onthefield

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 01:18 PM

I'm making my way threw the World at War doc which has been just amazing. The footage is endless and amazing pics, plus Laurence Olivier's voice gives effect a hundred times over!! :cool:
Hence the saying: One may know how to conquer without being able to do it- Sun Tzu

#38 Friedrich

Friedrich

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 02:26 PM

And I'm going to watch to-night a Mexican film of the 1940s called "Mejicanos al grito de guerra" —Mexican warcry— which is a war film about the Battle of Puebla on May 5th 1862 against the French Army. smile.gif Quite a patriotic day for Mexico...

But here's this French citizen to remind them that after that temporary defeat the French Army took Puebla three months later and it wasn't recaptured until the French left Mexico —thanks to Bismarck... :D

#39 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,628 posts
  • LocationKotka,Finland

User's Awards

Posted 05 May 2004 - 03:05 PM

Oh yes, almost forgot...

I also watched Bomber Harris movie a while ago
( John Thaw as Harris ) and quite liked it, especially due to Thaw´s excellent work in the head role.

If you can definitely worth watching!

;)

http://www.mvc.co.uk...ml?pid=20186027
Posted Image

#40 volkbert

volkbert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 09:22 PM

I watched Conspiracy. It's a movie about the Wannsee conference. Great movie and great acting.
  • denny likes this

#41 Friedrich

Friedrich

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 08:08 PM

"Conspiracy" is definately the most scary film about the Holocaust. You never see a single dead body, but how these men talk about the whole 'Final solution' is really horrible.

A must see for everybody.

#42 wilconqr

wilconqr

Dishonorably Discharged

• Dishonorably Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 04:42 PM

Held my bladder for over an hour this morning watching Gary Cooper in Sgt. York (original b/w) on AMC this morning. I've probably seen this one over a hundred times- the patriotic and god fearing in this still make me warm all over! ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#43 Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 04:29 AM

Sahara, the classic black and white version starring Humphrey Bogart, was on AMC over the weekend.
This information has been posted for non-commercial, educational, and research purposes.
- - - -
"The world will little note nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here." - Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 19, 1863
- - - -
"The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past." - William Faulkner

#44 TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 11:04 AM

Just watched ZULU, the limited edition DVD, my it looks good... you can see the whites of their eyes!!! Fire at will!!!

Can anyone tell me which Zulu is will?

Also watched Kelly's Heroes for the millionth time, dunno why but I just love it... Its a mother beautiful film... Esp. the ending with added spurs!!!

Also got a vid on the FAllschirmjager that has some cool footage, particuarly of troops dropping with their weapons. You should see the guy jumping with an MG34 hit the ground, he lands HARD!
"Watch that Fu*ker, he'll 'ave someones eye out!" King Harold at Hastings 1066.

#45 Friedrich

Friedrich

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 02:44 PM

Just watched "The Bridge over the River Kwai", it is definately one of the best films I've ever watched, ever! :eek: Bloody amazing! :eek:

And "Troy"... don't know whether to be excited and happy or cry... :rolleyes:

#46 TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:45 PM

what about Arthur KIng of the Britons???

Looks mighty interesting...
"Watch that Fu*ker, he'll 'ave someones eye out!" King Harold at Hastings 1066.

#47 Mahross

Mahross

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 18 May 2004 - 04:31 PM

By all account Troy is based more on the literary version than the historical version. and obviously it has been americanised. For example Achilles love interest is a woman instead of a boy.

I've been re-watching the BBC Dunkirk that was recently on TV.

#48 Friedrich

Friedrich

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 06:40 PM

what about Arthur KIng of the Britons???
Looks mighty interesting...

Do you know it is a Jerry Bruckheimer film? graemlins/no.gif "Pearl Harbour"? graemlins/no.gif But at least it will be a lot of well-made action. And I really don't care about King Arthur, it is mithology based in mediocre Literary work, so they can do with it whatever they want.

By all account Troy is based more on the literary version than the historical version.

There is no historical version of Troy... there's a city in Hissarlik, Turkey that at the end of the Bronze Age was a huge, fortified port that was destroyed by a war and fire. Some Hitite texts now tells us that it might have been called Ilium or Ilión. Now we know: Troy did exist. But there's no way to know who was king or who fought in that war...

and obviously it has been americanised.

It has been ruined. Maybe not historically speaking. But Homer's "Iliad" was desicrated horribly in some aspects, most importantly the one you mention. Patroclus was not Achilles' cousin and was not an unexperienced warrior. Come on! This is 2004! No one would be bothered if the film mentions what everybody has known since 3.000 years ago: Achilles was gay and even if he had a wife and many concubines, the love of his life was Patroclus. It actually makes more sense. Otherwise, who loves his cousin that much? :rolleyes:

Besides, in "Troy", the moron that wrote the script kills who shouldn't be killed, doesn't kill who should be killed and kills who should be killed when they shouldn't be killed! And worst of all, the Trojan war that lasted 10 years, it seems like two weeks in the film... graemlins/no.gif

But it was quite good for a Hollywood film. :cool:

[ 18. May 2004, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: General der Infanterie Friedrich H ]

#49 Friedrich

Friedrich

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 06:42 PM

By the way, saw "Gone with the Wind" yesternight. Incredibly, I hadn't watched it since many years ago when I was a kid and didn't like it, of course.

Wow! :eek: It is simply a masterpiece and an inmortal work of art! Astonishing!

Loved Clark Gable too. He was not a handsome man, but he had the personality and virility of 300 Mel Gibsons, Tom Cruises and Brad Pitts! :eek:

#50 Onthefield

Onthefield

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 10:39 PM

Watched Fiddler on the Roof which is just a fun and classic movie to watch.

It's an amazing depiction of cultures in the same country clashing yet trying to live together peacefully.
Hence the saying: One may know how to conquer without being able to do it- Sun Tzu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users