We Need Your Help - Become a Site Supporter

For 16 years we've been delivering WWII discussion and research, help support our efforts for the next 16 years. Become a WW2 Forums Patron!

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

What have you been watching?

• Please log in to reply
3289 replies to this topic

#51 E. Anderson

E. Anderson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 01:26 AM

Watched a good scandinavian war movie recently: The Heroes of Tellemark. It is great because i personally didnt know anything happened in scandinavia in WW2 but now i do!

#52 Onthefield

Onthefield

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 10:29 PM

I just watched Saving Private Ryan once again and have to say you can never see that movie enough times where it isn't just as impactful as the first!! graemlins/moh.gif
Hence the saying: One may know how to conquer without being able to do it- Sun Tzu

#53 FramerT

FramerT

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 10:33 PM

Saw the "Lost Battalion" again. It's WWI but still pretty good. :D
Posted Image

#54 Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:16 AM

The A&E and History Channel networks both aired a number of D-Day documentaries this past weekend. One of the most interesting of these was A&E's Biography of Dwight D. Eisenhower.

It was quite interesting to see John Eisenhower and Manfred Rommel discussing their respective fathers and Normandy. It was also interesting to learn about the long pre-war friendship between Eisenhower and George Patton.

R. Lee Ermey's D-Day episode of his TV show Mail Call included a touching tribute to the heroes of Normandy. During the epsiode, Ermey discussed the technology of D-Day and answered viewers questions about the battle.

At the close of the episode, Ermey, while walking through the Normandy American Cemetery, noted that all of the technology would have accomplished nothing without the men who had charged ashore and descended from the sky to fight and win the battle. Ermey then knelt beside the grave of an unknown soldier, placed his hand on the tombstone, and said: "We don't know who you are, but you will never be forgotten."

[ 07. June 2004, 03:24 AM: Message edited by: Deep Web Diver ]
This information has been posted for non-commercial, educational, and research purposes.
- - - -
"The world will little note nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here." - Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 19, 1863
- - - -
"The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past." - William Faulkner

#55 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,631 posts
  • LocationKotka,Finland

User's Awards

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:33 AM

Justc got me a collection named WW2-road to victory with some 440 minutes of footage...

That should keep me busy for a while!

Posted Image

:D
Posted Image

#56 Friedrich

Friedrich

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 05:53 PM

Bought "Saving Private Ryan" on DVD on Saturday so I could watch it and "The longest day" on the anniversary. :D

The wide-screen and DD version of it was amazing! The neighbours actually complained that there seemed to be a war going at my flat: I just responded: 'It's D-day, guys'. :D tongue.gif
"War is less costly than servitude, the choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd, French veteran of both world wars

"A mon fils: depuis que tes yeux sont fermes les miens n’ont cessé de pleurir." - Mère française, Verdun

#57 Herr Kaleun

Herr Kaleun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 02:46 AM

Fried...

I purchased the 60th anniversary edition of SPR (even though I already had it on DVD) in the World War II Boxed set with "Price of Peace: From Pearl Harbor to Nagasaki" and "Shooting War: WW2 Combat Photographers." Both of these are very good documentaries IMHO.

I was going to bypass the latest SPR until I read that the SPR packaged in this set has DTS 5.1. After factoring in the cost of the two documentaries on amazon.com, I realized that I would be getting SPR for practically nothing.

Talk about some awesome sound!! Home theater system was rumbling!

As for what I am watching now, I am about a third of the way through the DVDs of the British series "Piece of Cake."

Kai...be sure to post a review of your latest purchase please! Looks interesting!
"Angriff, Ran, Versenken!"-Onkel Karl
"Sink 'Em All"-Uncle Charlie

#58 Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 09:43 AM

The History Channel has been running The Great Escape, one of the very best POW films, this weekend.

Interesting Great Escape trivia from IMDB: four cast members were actually POWs during WW II (Donald Pleasence, Hannes Messemer, Til Kiwe and Hans Reiser).

[ 13. June 2004, 04:47 AM: Message edited by: Deep Web Diver ]
This information has been posted for non-commercial, educational, and research purposes.
- - - -
"The world will little note nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here." - Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 19, 1863
- - - -

#59 Onthefield

Onthefield

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 11:55 PM

There's a series coming out called century of warfare by TimeLife and I'm thinking of getting it. Does anyone know if it's any good? :confused:

From what I saw it looked amazing!!
Hence the saying: One may know how to conquer without being able to do it- Sun Tzu

#60 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,631 posts
  • LocationKotka,Finland

User's Awards

Posted 28 July 2004 - 12:51 PM

Just checked a one hour document on Mosquito! According to it only 11 losses out of the first 1,000 sorties!!!

Must be some kinda world record in war time ever, and the plane was unarmed, right Martin?!

:eek: :eek:
Posted Image

#61 Friedrich

Friedrich

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 02:45 PM

Watched "Apocalypse Now" and "Rio Bravo" this weekend. smile.gif

"Apocalypse Now" was a bit too tiring and heavy for me: Martin Sheen and of course Marlon Brando were very good. Loved surfer Robert Duvall and his Valyries too. smile.gif

"Rio Bravo" was fantastic! I just love John Wayne. :cool: But Ricky Nelson got my attention and I drooled about him during the entire film… but that's just Friedrich's queerdo stuff… :rolleyes:
"War is less costly than servitude, the choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd, French veteran of both world wars

"A mon fils: depuis que tes yeux sont fermes les miens n’ont cessé de pleurir." - Mère française, Verdun

#62 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,631 posts
  • LocationKotka,Finland

User's Awards

Posted 06 August 2004 - 10:55 PM

Posted Image

Watched this today and next week I´ll get these:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:D ;)
Posted Image

#63 FramerT

FramerT

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 04:27 PM

Turner Classic Movies has an Clint Eastwood marathon this afternoon; Where Eagles Dare followed by Kelly's Heroes then a couple westerns. Oh my! tongue.gif
Posted Image

#64 TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 06:28 PM

Just watched Hellboy for the 2nd time...
"Watch that Fu*ker, he'll 'ave someones eye out!" King Harold at Hastings 1066.

#65 Mahross

Mahross

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 08 August 2004 - 06:37 PM

Just watched the bridge at remagen for the first time. not a bad film.

#66 Archangel

Archangel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:26 AM

Originally posted by framert:
Saw the "Lost Battalion" again. It's WWI but still pretty good. :D

I've got it on tape...true story too.

Good flick!

#67 Maverik

Maverik

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 10:04 AM

Lost Battalion? Was that about a battlion in No mans land or something? Were they Canadian or US?
A good plan violently executed today is better than a perfect plan executed tomorrow.
Patton

The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.
David Friedman

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.
Groucho Marx

#68 Archangel

Archangel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:36 AM

Yes, it was about a battalion of US infantry that was ordered to advance forward during an offensive. They were at the center of the allied advance and the only unit to take it's objective. Then they held out, outnumbered, for 3-5 days (can't remember).

The commanding officer and about three others all received the Medal of Honor and at least one of the soldiers received the DSC.

Incidently, the commanding officer was so traumatized it is said to have contributed to his suicide several years after the war.

#69 Maverik

Maverik

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:56 PM

Interesting, was this a recent movie? Was it made for TV?
A good plan violently executed today is better than a perfect plan executed tomorrow.
Patton

The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.
David Friedman

Groucho Marx

#70 Archangel

Archangel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 01:46 PM

It was made for A&E but it is available for purchase from the internet. I bought it at Suncoast video store.

It was made a couple of years ago and has Ricky Schroeder and the actor that played the Lt Col. in Band of Brothers.

#71 Maverik

Maverik

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 01:56 PM

Cool I will have to check it out!
Patton

David Friedman

Groucho Marx

#72 Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 02:07 AM

The Lost Battalion is an excellent film.

I recently saw A&E's Ike: Countdown to D-Day. It's an interesting film in terms of its depiction of the interaction between Ike, Patton, Monty, DeGaulle, Bradley, Churchill, etc.

[ 21. August 2004, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Deep Web Diver ]
- - - -
- - - -

#73 Stevin

Stevin

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 10:31 PM

Lost battalion...Thought that might be the Vosges, october 1944, but this is WWI!?
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!" - Homer Simpson
Posted Image
Posted Image

#74 Martin Bull

Martin Bull

Acting Wg. Cdr

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,267 posts
  • LocationLondon, England.

Posted 22 August 2004 - 11:42 AM

Going way O/T here but the original 'Lost Battalion' was from the 77th 'Liberty' Divn who went into the Argonne Forest during October 1918, almost at the end of WW1. Totally surrounded for six days, 200 men came out ( of the 600 who went in ).3 Congressional Medals of Honour were awarded ( the Commander, I beleive, committed suicide in the early 1920's ). Quite a story.

OK, back to WW2 ! ;)
"Stand by to pull me out of the seat if I get hit" - Guy Gibson

#75 Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 01:45 PM

Correct Martin, the siege was the basis for the film and Colonel Charles Whittlesey, the Lost Battalion's commander, committed suicide in 1921.

[ 22. August 2004, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Deep Web Diver ]
- - - -
- - - -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users