Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

General Feldmarshal's Batons

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by PzJgr, Apr 14, 2003.

1. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Does anybody have any information about the disposition of batons belonging to Germany's FieldMarshals? Any links? I saw something where Hugo Sperrle's baton was found after the fall of the iron curtain. One I would not mind seeing is Hermann Goring's baton. Thanks

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi PzJgr, I think Gorings baton is at West Point, im not sure where Rommels is.

3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

In West Point ( I think as I found in the net ):

Dwight Eisenhower’s popular dance card (?)

Gen. George S. Patton’s submachine gun.

the plug that was pulled from the atomic bomb that fell on Nagasaki.

Sepp Dietrich's Waffen SS cap and Hermann Göring's & Wilhelm Keitel's Field Marshal batons

etc. Anybody know more famous pieces of warfare there?

-------

Rommel's original baton was given by Gen. Eisenhower to Soviet Marshal Zhukov and is in the Russian Archives.

http://www.museumofworldwarii.com/TourText/Area12_NorthAfrica.htm

4. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

WOW! How did Eisenhower get ahold of Rommel's baton? I would have thought that the family of Rommel would have had it. Interesting. I must take a look at Goring's baton. I will see if I find and photos. Surfing time. Thanks.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Kai, I dont know if these are really famous or not but, West Point also has many high German awards there too. They have at least several German Cross in Gold with Diamonds, and some other awards.

6. ted welch

ted welch recruit

rommel's baton, is owned by rommel's son, not sure if he is dead yet or not, was the mayor of stuttgart. keitel's baton, i do not think, is at west point. it is held by the keitel family. david irving did a story about keitel, and talks about his baton there. as soon as the war ended, the allies raced around looking for those batons to give to guys like ike. sperrle's baton was at the national d.day museum,.... they loaned or traded it to a museum on the east coast, if you search on google for "sperrle baton", you can find it that way. i dont know about it coming out of east germany.... that sounds hokie to me. goring's baton, is at west point.