Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

re-enactors for Normandie

Discussion in 'Living History' started by Erich, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

guys, anyone of the live groups going to be doing a representation of certain battles of Normandie as a kick-off for today 6-6-44 ???????......

~E

2. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Sadly we are not, the only event I have before the 28th is a Russian event. I know a couple of groups over here (mainly airborne units) go to Normandy to do parades and so on, for some strange reason we SS chaps dont get invited :confused: ;)

3. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Well, tehre is always next year. The big 60! I am planning on visiting Normady early June next year...

Any takers? Maybe Martin and Crazy could get the 'bus' out of the barn and we'll make it a 'Forums' trip... ;)

4. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

that's a bummer Stef

Stevin I'd luv to say Yes on that one and then after that a drive over to a couple of hot spots in Germany, see some relatives, visit more museums, go to the Ardenne, visit Freiburg then........ah the list is too bloody long. Though having a few pints with our English friends and a tour along Normandie's coast would be a kick in the rear no doubt !!!

the 60th will be tremendous I hope as long as some of our vets can attend. I know the 50th was a wild one and several of my vet/customers made the trip over to England and then to France which then they were treated like nobility......

~E

5. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

That sounds like a plan Stevin, let me know when you plan it and I am there ;) . Actually it is probably worth considering for us euros, what with flights being so cheap etc. Dont bother about a hotel, sleep under the stars outside caen, fantastic...

Maybe some day.

6. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

I know there is gonna be a big D-Day event on lake michigan next summer. We had a huge one last summer. I almost died of heat stroke, but I'm ready now with HBTs. At the last one there was around 300+ reenactors.

7. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Member

Erich -

I'm sure there is going to be a big event at Fort Stevens in Astoria, Oregon. Usually every August the reenactor fellows get together and put on one heck of a show, and then, over Labor Day holiday, the Civil War boys do the same.

But the August show is attended very well with 6th Fallschirmjager, and 11th Panzer in tow along with many U.S. units, and a group of Canadians come down from British Columbia and represent both Canadian and British units.

Years ago, I used to go along and put up a display of original German Army uniforms and field gear, right next to the U.S. material, and it was fun, but I haven't been for a long time.
    However, one of my friends ( age 52 now ) still is an active member of the 11th Panzer and drives down in his original 1942 Kubelwagen. Along with this, he has continually been working on restoring his 1943 Kettenkrad, and it is about ready to go. Soon, the German forces will have these, along with their Sdkfz 251 apc, ( Czech, 1950's modified ) in their fleet.

You might want to take it in. And with the 60th Anniversary of D-Day coming up next year, it should be a grand show.

Bill