Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Tiger SS Abteilung 102/502 information

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by Erich, Jun 19, 2001.

1. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Guys :

Just got an e-mail from Germany, and I am in correspondance with a son of a former gunner of Tiger I # 132 during the Normady campaign and the gent was also a gunner of a Tiger II on the Ost Front.
    I first asked the son if the father was still alive, his rank in Normandy, and if he received the EK. Also the tank kills, and lastly if the guys had a reunion and if it was still going on in Germany.......
    This is the son's response.

Hi Erich, I am very glad that someone outside of Germany is interested in this part of history.
    1.) My father is gone in 1995
    2.) His rank was Rottenführer, his first name Rudolf
    3.) He got his EK II before the battle of Normandy
    4.) He had shot 10 Tanks in Normandy and 2 later on in Germany against the Russians.
    5.)The Tiger Kommandeur was Walter Knecht, the first name of the driver was Heini.
    6.) They had a yearly reunion up to 1998, but they are now very old and only a few.

I am interested in all informations you have about these comrades. I will have a web-site named SS-Panzer in a few weeks. A nephew of an other member of s.SS-Pz.Abt. 102/502 is writing a book of the history of this troops.

Best regards,
    Hartwig Wuester

[​IMG] Whoa ! well what can I say but cool. I've written and gently asked several more questions about 1st Kompanie and then later I will ask if there are any fotos that he could copy.......maybe if this is possible we can put these on this site. Hartwig may of course be waiting till his seite is up and running of course, so with that I will wait for his response and keep you all posted.

Tschüß

Erich B.

2. David B.

David B. New Member

Greetings,
    Please send Me an e-mail at: Bunded@BSCI.com and I'll reply with a scan. Sincerely, DJB

3. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Hartwig, a very interesting account and look forward to your website. Please post a link here. I think you will find widespread interest here and in WW2Talk, our sister forum.

Gaines