Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Interested in these wargames

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by SGT Killjoy, Dec 27, 2004.

1. SGT Killjoy

SGT Killjoy Member

Are there rulebooks? ANy place to get an idea of what this is like? Popular places to get models?

2. Mahross

Mahross Ace

SGT - Best person to ask would be Red Baron. He is a fountain of knowledge about wargaming.

3. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

Well... kinda big question...

I take it you are interested in WW2 gaming? With miniatures?

First off... a couple of good useful sites for wargamers, both have VERY active forums...

www.wargamesdirectory.com

www.theminiaturespage.com

If you are interested in gaming ww2 then your first decision will be what period of the war you want to game, then what scale and then what rules and figure makers you wanna use.

WW2 is one of the most popular gaming periods at the moment, and has had a huge resurgence over the last ten years. The rules tend to be aimed at gaming various levels of combat. Some rules cater for skirmish/squad level combat while others are aimed at company or battalion level engagements.

I have tried most rulesets on offer. I would suggest having a look at the sites for the following rulesets and most also have forums or yahoo groups to support them.

Blitzkreig Commander - Company/Battalion level rules, well presented and in my view the best WW2 gaming experienced to be had, in possibly the best presented and easy to understand rulebook on the market.

Arc of Fire - Squad level rules, that give a very realistic gaming simulation of squad actions.

Flames of War - New set of rules offering the 'complete' package (figures,models, rules and supplements all from one maker) but views differ on these rules...

I aint been shot mum - Another squad/platoon level ruleset, very good, playable and fun.

There are also many clubs in the USA that game and your best bet may be to find one and visit and try out a game ot two to get a feel for the hobby. Both of the websites I mentioned should be able to help you find opponents.

Also there is the online WW2 gaming mag www.frontlineobserver.com that cater solely for the WW2 gamer. Bit of a plug as I write for them!

Anything you wanna know just ask away and I will try to help!

Regards

RED