• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 figjam

figjam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 07:30 AM

I live in Australia, and the gun laws are not like the ones in america, we dont have the right to bear arms, only farmers with permits can have a bolt-action rifle, with no internal or detachable magazine, and i think it can only be a certain calibre. (.22 i think)

I would like to start collecting WW2 weapons, starting with the weapons the aussies used (lee-enfield, owen gun, bren gun, thompson, sten gun)and i was wondering if there are any other aussies on this forum that collect weapons, and know about permits and stuff like that.

Note - i want to get deactivated weapons, not fireable ones, for safety reasons, cheers lads!
“Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men.”
GENERAL GEORGE S. PATTON, JR.

#2 FramerT

FramerT

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:37 AM

Hi figjam. I'd check with your gov't.officials first.Last thing you want is getting in trouble cause 'so and so' said I did'nt need a permit. Good Luck and happy collecting!
:cool:
Posted Image

#3 figjam

figjam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 05:19 PM

ok, i guess thats the best thing to do, thanks mate

#4 Greenjacket

Greenjacket

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 05:26 PM

In Britain, deactivated weapons can be bought and sold freely, providing they are sold with a valid certificate of deactivation. I would assume that something similar operates in Australia, but it's definitely worth checking.

#5 figjam

figjam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 06:41 PM

do i need a gun license even though theyre deactivated? or do i need some other sort of permit?

#6 FramerT

FramerT

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 12:00 AM

Guess asking a 'local'official is too much effort. graemlins/no.gif
Posted Image

#7 BratwurstDimSum

BratwurstDimSum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 04:33 AM

There are two ways you can do this...I am part of a reenactment society here in Melbourne, Victoria. I got a letter from them that I was a paying member $20 a year is very reasonable, and apply for a "performing arts and reenactment" permit, which is a gun license category, so you still have to have a gun license. This is for working guns

The other alternative for deacts is to take it to a gun dealer and make sure it is deactivated, but its really sad, they weld up the magazine, bolt and seal up the barrel so anything that moves or takes ammo is screwed up for life. I believe these are legal and require no permit.
Posted ImageDer große Stoß Büstenhalter auf Ihrem Kopf!!

#8 figjam

figjam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 12:51 PM

ok, thanks mate!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users