Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Iron Cross

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by Mussolini, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

I recently acquired a Militaria Item - an Iron Cross reportedly from WWI. I'll get pictures of it up here real soon. ITs about an inch/inch and a half big. On the top segment of the cross it has a crown, with FW under it. With a 3 leaf plant or something with what look like acorns underneath the center part where the 3 leaves join. Below that is the numbers: 1813. On the other side (not sure which is front) is the same crown, with a big W in the middle. On the bottom are 4 more numbers: 1914 or 1814...the '8-9' is a little distorted due to rust/dirt/damage. Theres a metallic ring on the top of it, and looking very closely at it, you can see a KO inscribed on it. Will try my best to get some dcent pictures with a digital camera.

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

3. Mussolini

Thanks for the link! Seems like most of the links on that page are still under construction. Did some more research and looks likes its an Iron Cross from the Napoleonic Wars...due to the date and Oak Leaves. Not sure what 'Class' though as all the pictures of the different classes look the same. Any way to tell? Maybe the stuff on the back? Also, i am pretty sure its Authentic but cant tell for sure since i am not knowledgeable on the matter. Also got it for about 40$ on Ebay so...

4. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

5. Mussolini

6. KilroytheSniper

KilroytheSniper Member

That looks like a nice find there. My friend has some family who fought in WW2 and brought back a bunch of stuff they confiscated from German soldiers. Supposedly, they have some medals ( iron crosses ) but he wont let me into his tool shed to get them. Sadly, they sit, locked up in a shed, neglected. Those are pieces of history. :mad:
    Is that a ww2 cross, or from another era?

7. Bob Wirtz

Bob Wirtz Member

Your Iron Cross is a SECOND CLASS. The date 1813 on the back is the original year of institution of the Iron Cross medal. The front has the date of institution for the war that it was issued for, therefore, this is an Iron Cross Second Class for the First World War (1914-18). The second class award has each side finished and comes with a loop at the top with a ring and ribbon. These awards were worn either as a ribbon on the ribbon bar, the medal on the medal bar during formal occasions, or the ribbon in the second button hole. The Iron Cross First Class was unfinished on the back and had a pin for hanging on thread loops placed on the uniform pocket - the upper right as you look at the tunic. A member needed to win the Iron Cross 2nd Class before being qualified for the 1st Class.

Bob

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

K.O. is the King's maker for this award. I have a few marked the same.

9. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Ye Gods, Carl ! Where did you suddenly reappear from !? :eek:

I'm very glad indeed to 'see' you again ! :cool:

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Mate, I was away soaring through the galaxies on the U.S.S. Enterprise - whose 5 year mission was cut short because Mr. Spock had a need to stop by the planet: Vulcan. We learned that his heart had been broken and we went about our business. Earth just happened to be a few light years away and as we were zooming by, the Captain had Mr. Scott beam me down until they return (in season 3) :-D

Just kidding, i've been real busy during that time and also trying to get many projects completed. I was asked to stop by here yesterday and I did so for awhile. I guess like a bad penny, i'm back. ;-D