Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Last Live Music I Heard ?

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Martin Bull, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Since seeing The Clash 14 times in the 70s/80s I haven't been that close to the music scene.....if there is one.

On a whim, took my wife ( a classical music person ) to see Rodney Crowell's band at London's Mean Fiddler last night.

Hey - it was great ! :D Small venue, no seats ( :cool: ) We ended up against the stage with our eardrums being blown away.....dunno what the older generation's coming to ! :eek:

2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Ah, memories!
    Years ago I used to roadie for a Beatles tribute band, and after that I ran a 50s Rock N' Roll club locally. I used to try and put a band on every other month, finances permitting. On other weekends the same club used to have a Reggae club on a Friday night, which I frequented along with a Reggae/World Music club in Edinburgh.
    When that little lot died away, another pub used to have live Blues bands every Friday and Saturday, but having a family put paid to that.
    Good job I used to buy a demo tape from every band I went to see, 'cos I can't remember the last time I actually saw a band live!
    No, wait, that's not true. Last year I won a Radio Clyde competition and took the wife to see Sweet, Showaddywaddy and The Rubettes. :cool:

3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Paul McCartney last summer in Finland.That was great! ( 2/04 Kraftwerk and 10/03 Bowie )

That´s interesting, Martin! The Clash 14 times...

You were a punk rocker?? ;) Followed any other great bands of the time as well like Sex Pistols or the kind??

4. drache

drache Member

I'm not a huge fan, but I saw Prince over the summer - it was an awsome show.

5. jpatterson

jpatterson Member

The last show I saw was the Black Sabbath Reunion Tour with Pantera. I was a little leary of Pantera, but it turned out that I liked them.

I know it isn't really live, but the "Unledded" DVD from Robert Plant and Jimmy Page is out. Quite a good musical experience in my opinion. Of course, I am a huge Led Zeppelin fan.

Later

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

You mean "the person who was previously known as Prince" or is he called Prince again??

:confused:

7. Bill Murray

Bill Murray Member

Saw Springsteen for the 10th time a couple of summers back. Even took both of my kids this time. They loved it too.

8. TA152

TA152 Ace

9. Martin Bull

Hmmm - last time I saw Clapton he was jamming with JJ Cale in 1976....Cream at the RAH would be interesting but just imagine the rush for tickets.

I didn't have the hair and the bin-liner, Kai ;) , just really into the music. Didn't get to see the Pistols ( very few did ! ) but caught The Jam ( 10 times ) plus the Ramones, Banshees, Buzzcocks, Subway Sect, 999, Stiff Little Fingers, Stranglers, Costello, Talking Heads etc etc etc...basically, whoever was playing London any weekend in 77/78/79. Tickets used to be £2.00 and you could stand right by the stage..... Clash gigs were ( almost ) all special, though.

Those were the days, eh ?

10. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Who doesn't! Have seen him that often too the last 20 years or so. That's a must every time he tours.

Christa is early awaiting the Van Halen tour next year in Europe. Already saw whitesnake a few years back. Then Dropkick Murphy's in the Melkweg (Milkyway) in Amsterdam....That was fun too.

11. TA152

TA152 Ace

You're showing your age Martin !! You could get tickets and then resell them with the profits going to the Martin Bull retirment fund. :D :rolleyes: [​IMG]

12. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Wow! Excellent bands,Martin!

BTW,
    One of my favourites of the early 1980´s was Adam and the Ants, ever saw them in their early form?..they were serious punk rock at the time and I think Malcolm Mclaren was their manager at the time as well?? I got the "Dirk wears white sox"-lp as well...

Just remembered one Clash song.."Ivan Meets G.I. Joe"....

--------

Nowadays something more mature...like Roxy Music and Avalon or Bryan Ferry´s solo "Boys and girls"...

:eek: ;)

13. Mahross

Mahross Ace

Saw Ocean Colour Scene bout a year and a half ago. My first live concert. Off to see them again in april. They are great live!!

14. GRW

They played live at Stirling Castle (on my doorstep) a few years back.
    Natasha Bedingfield and other people played the castle at New Year this year.

15. GRW

They played live at Stirling Castle (on my doorstep) a few years back.
    Natasha Bedingfield and other people played the castle at New Year this year.

16. TA152

TA152 Ace

I got to see Judy Collins Sunday night and she was really good. For someone 65 years old she looked pretty good and her voice was in excellent shape.

By the way Martin, I am still looking for my Cream tickets in the mail.

17. Martin Bull

I see that Cream tickets for the RAH 'start' at £300 ; going up to £500+..... :eek: [​IMG]

I could have seen The Clash 150 times for that ! ;)

18. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Saw Muse live in London just before Xmas, that was great! They were supported by the Zutons which was great too.

19. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Does my last night singing counts? :confused: There was a living orchestra very close… :rolleyes:

No? Then, does Joseph 'The Dreamer' counts? No?

Then it was a rock concert of the Spanish gothic group Mago de Oz…

OK, I'll shut up, before I keep promoting more stereotypes… :rolleyes:

20. TA152

TA152 Ace

General can you give the forum your tour cities and dates for the coming year ? Who knows, we might see you live and in person. I never been to an opera before. Could you get me in for free ? :D :D :D