• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Jason

Jason

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 07:19 PM

What is the best WW2 flight simulator for the PC? I got a game called war birds and I think its fun but the problem is the enemy plans don't shoot back! I need a game with lots of cool plans and the enemy shoots back, any suggestions?
A Member of the 2nd Panzer Division
Jason "Axel" DeRocher

#2 Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 08:47 PM

This happens to be one of my ares of expertise! Right now the best sim out there is IL2 strumovik. But wait 3 months and CFS3 will be out which will be the best sim to date.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

[FONT="]With broken heart and bowed in sadness, but not in shame, I report to your Excellency that today I must arrange terms for the surrender of the fortified islands of Manila Bay… With profound regret and the continued pride in my gallant troops I go to meet the Japanese commander. Good-Bye, Mr. President.[/FONT] - Gen. Wainwright, May 5, 1942

#3 Martin Bull

Martin Bull

Acting Wg. Cdr

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,634 posts
  • LocationLondon, England.

Posted 23 August 2002 - 12:09 PM

Probably not the 'best', but a nice, inexpensive, easy-to-load game for a straight PC is Rowan's 'Battle of Britain'.

You can fly Spitfire, Hurricane, Me109, Me110 or Ju87. The engines and guns sound 'right' and the enemy planes most certainly shoot back !
"Stand by to pull me out of the seat if I get hit" - Guy Gibson

#4 Stevin

Stevin

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 12:16 PM

Dude! BOB brings back memories! but that is waaaay back! I used to play and love it. Then Secret Weapons Of The Luftwaffe (SWOTL) came along and then European Air War, which is what I used to play most of the time. But I got fed up because there is not much variety in the missions or flying or shooting down planes. i.e. the IA is not what it is nowadays. The best was when I crippled a B17 over France and followed the bomber when it left formation and slowly went down, seeing it make an emergency landing and all the crew jump out leaving a smoking bomber in the french country side. That was cool. But when I fly mission after mission and be able to shoot down at least 7 bombers on each mission, I call it quits....

IL2 is a game I am just picking up. Difficult to fly but SOOOOOO cool!

I think I step over to the stategy games now...Want to command armies...conquer the world! :D

[ 23 August 2002, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: Stevin Oudshoorn ]
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!" - Homer Simpson
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Martin Bull

Martin Bull

Acting Wg. Cdr

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • 12,634 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 12:41 PM

He used to be such a nice guy - and then he got married . . . . . ! tongue.gif

#6 Stevin

Stevin

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 01:04 PM

Well, At home Christa is the Frau Feld Marschall, of course. I have to assert myself somewhere . :rolleyes:
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!" - Homer Simpson
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Martin Bull

Martin Bull

Acting Wg. Cdr

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • 12,634 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 03:56 PM

Hmm, OK, maybe, but... world domination !? :eek: :D

#8 Jason

Jason

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 05:54 PM

I do like those world domination games (maybe cause im part German) but I like flight simulators cause u can have one on one fights and also games like MOH cause as one guy you can make a difference, the only problem is you don't get to see the big picture. Now if they could make a game that combined all of these, well first of all it would take up too much room on the computer but it would still be cool.
A Member of the 2nd Panzer Division
Jason "Axel" DeRocher

#9 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 20,289 posts

User's Awards

Posted 29 September 2002 - 09:16 AM

I think the Jane´s combat simulation games are good. You also get history footage with them so two for the price of one.
(" WW2 fighters", "Longbow 2" etc )
I only have a demo on IL-2 but it seems great.Got to get it later on.

Did not have the time to try the new tank games but "Panzer elite" is great.

Medal of honour for PS2 is great fun, especially the house fighting parts. The long walks in Arnheim feel a bit boring after a while and the guy blowing tanks is totally "humorous". I knew German tanks could not move but is that because the drivers and commanders are dumb or are they out of fuel?

Close combat series is good. At the moment I prefer countre-strike though.
Operation Flash-point gives a feeling of really being a part of operations.
Steel Panthers is a golden oldie. If you show your nose too early ( too eager to attack ) you´re dead in this game. I enjoyed the feeling of putting my panzers in a group and see how the Russians came with their tanks and blow the whole lot of them in a straight line. Leopard my fave tank in this game.

Battle of Britain by Talonsoft is an addiction for me. Not much graphics but moving the planes and changing the tactics is fun. Mostly the computer is stuck with its tactics but at times it does have its moments and you scream as Luftwaffe is getting beaten as you thought of making the "Golden rule for attacking"...

Panzer General series is a must. Getting your men up to grade 15 and blasting through enemy lines gives enormous satisfaction...

Mig alley: Great graphics but the plane seems somewhat unrealistic with its moving in the air. Good game though.

;)
Posted Image

#10 Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 12:15 PM

EUROPEAN AIR WAR....

Great graphics
Attention to detail
medals
promotions
kills
strafing of convoys-naval and land
tank-busting missions
interdiction
destroying airfields
COME ON GUYS-WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT.....????
"GARRY OWEN"-Traditional war-cry of the US 7th Cavalry.
"CURRAHEE"-War-cry of the US 506th PIR.
"Everybody thinks that they are going to get the chance to punch some Nazi in the face at Normandy-and those days are over, they are long gone"-Lt Chris Burnett

#11 CrazyD

CrazyD

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 02:07 PM

I just replaced my broken joystick, so now I can agree with Panzerknacker- European Air War is a GREAT game. I haven't picked it up in a while, and had forgotten how good this game is. The attention to detail Panzerknacker mentions- once, while forced to land in the german-held territory in Europe, I actually saw a few troops running across my path at one point while slowing down.
Incredible game...

And since Kai mentioned it, Close COmbat III is by far the best WW2 strategy game in my opinion...
heh...
Sno-Balls? Sno-Balls? Where the %#$@ are the God damn Twinkies?

#12 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• 20,289 posts

User's Awards

Posted 30 September 2002 - 02:31 PM

Yes, Close combat is good. And sorry about that, it should be sudden strike, not counter strike. I do not play games as much as I used to ( Ahh Lara Croft :D ) so that mught explain that...

;)
Posted Image

#13 Martin Bull

Martin Bull

Acting Wg. Cdr

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • 12,634 posts

Posted 06 October 2002 - 09:02 AM

*bump*

#14 Stevin

Stevin

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 06 October 2002 - 09:34 AM

I hear that Micro Prose's Combat Flight Sim(?) III which is coming out in november ought to be great. I have never been much of a CFS fan, but will check it out. EAW is definately the game I have played most but there is not much variety where missions are concerned. It is all a bit of 'more of the same'. IL2 is very sweet, but hard to fly. Apparently the flight charactetistics (?) are very true to life. I really start to wonder how the LW pilots kept those 109's in the air some times. But lately I haven't been flying much but have been sticking my nose in books... reading about flying. ;)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Kiwi Ace

Kiwi Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 05:04 AM

IL-2 is the best for me.

Close combat three is very cool, but the medals are badly done.
David
[sigpic][/sigpic]
When you go home
Tell them of us, and say
For your tomorrow
We gave our today.

#16 Heartland

Heartland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 08:21 AM

My vote difinitely goes to "Il-2 Sturmovik", an absolutely redicilous amount of research has gone into that thing, and it shows.

Alos, heads up everyone playing it, since the "Forgotten Battles" expansion will soon be released, focusing on the Winter War and the battles around Lake Balaton in Hungary towards the end of the war. Yay!
"Nervous wait for the whistle to blow
Rush of blood and over we go..."
- Iron Maiden, "Paschendale"

#17 Stevin

Stevin

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 08:31 AM

Yep....I can be found Sturming as well, be it in the easy mode! :rolleyes:

PS; Oh sorry...I had already replied here.... :rolleyes:

[ 09 October 2002, 03:33 AM: Message edited by: Stevin Oudshoorn ]
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Timothy

Timothy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 03:18 AM

I think that CFS2 is one of the most realistic flight sims there is. Another great thing about it is that you can download more planes, missions, and campaigns. This gives me continous fun.

I have to agree that EAF is another great game. But not as good as CFS2.
It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it.
--General Douglas MacArthur

#19 qubasiasyu

qubasiasyu

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:50 PM

Nobody mentioned Blazing Angels : Squadron of WWII

#20 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• 9,949 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:53 PM

You do realize this thread is almost 7 years old, don't you?

image001.png

Lou

#21 demondog

demondog

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:59 PM

I play Aces High II, which seems to be the best. I haven't found one that comes close yet. Maybe old Air Warriors, but it shadows to AH2. www.flyaceshigh.com

#22 Gunney

Gunney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:27 PM

Ace combat 6 fires of liberation and Ace combat 7 Assault horizon are preaty good along with Hawx 2, but flight sims like Il2 are some of my faves, needs alot of practice to keep you from turning into a lean mean flying machine into a pancake XD
Leopard 2A3 'Asphodel'
A Company
1st Armored Regiment
1st battalion, Robertson Barracks
Royal Australian Army

#23 Radar4077

Radar4077

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:50 PM

Ace combat 6 fires of liberation and Ace combat 7 Assault horizon are preaty good along with Hawx 2, but flight sims like Il2 are some of my faves, needs alot of practice to keep you from turning into a lean mean flying machine into a pancake XD

The ace combat series aren't placed in the WWII era, though. But nonetheless, my favorite game by far. I think I posted a thread on it somewhere...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users