Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

best WW2 flight sim?

Discussion in 'PC and Console Simulations' started by Jason, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Jason

Jason Member

What is the best WW2 flight simulator for the PC? I got a game called war birds and I think its fun but the problem is the enemy plans don't shoot back! I need a game with lots of cool plans and the enemy shoots back, any suggestions?

2. Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

Carl G. E. von Mannerheim Ace

This happens to be one of my ares of expertise! Right now the best sim out there is IL2 strumovik. But wait 3 months and CFS3 will be out which will be the best sim to date.

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Probably not the 'best', but a nice, inexpensive, easy-to-load game for a straight PC is Rowan's 'Battle of Britain'.

You can fly Spitfire, Hurricane, Me109, Me110 or Ju87. The engines and guns sound 'right' and the enemy planes most certainly shoot back !

4. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Dude! BOB brings back memories! but that is waaaay back! I used to play and love it. Then Secret Weapons Of The Luftwaffe (SWOTL) came along and then European Air War, which is what I used to play most of the time. But I got fed up because there is not much variety in the missions or flying or shooting down planes. i.e. the IA is not what it is nowadays. The best was when I crippled a B17 over France and followed the bomber when it left formation and slowly went down, seeing it make an emergency landing and all the crew jump out leaving a smoking bomber in the french country side. That was cool. But when I fly mission after mission and be able to shoot down at least 7 bombers on each mission, I call it quits....

IL2 is a game I am just picking up. Difficult to fly but SOOOOOO cool!

I think I step over to the stategy games now...Want to command armies...conquer the world! :D

[ 23 August 2002, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: Stevin Oudshoorn ]

5. Martin Bull

He used to be such a nice guy - and then he got married . . . . . ! [​IMG]

6. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Well, At home Christa is the Frau Feld Marschall, of course. I have to assert myself somewhere . :rolleyes:

7. Martin Bull

Hmm, OK, maybe, but... world domination !? :eek: :D

8. Jason

Jason Member

I do like those world domination games (maybe cause im part German) but I like flight simulators cause u can have one on one fights and also games like MOH cause as one guy you can make a difference, the only problem is you don't get to see the big picture. Now if they could make a game that combined all of these, well first of all it would take up too much room on the computer but it would still be cool.

9. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I think the Jane´s combat simulation games are good. You also get history footage with them so two for the price of one.
    (" WW2 fighters", "Longbow 2" etc )
    I only have a demo on IL-2 but it seems great.Got to get it later on.

Did not have the time to try the new tank games but "Panzer elite" is great.

Medal of honour for PS2 is great fun, especially the house fighting parts. The long walks in Arnheim feel a bit boring after a while and the guy blowing tanks is totally "humorous". I knew German tanks could not move but is that because the drivers and commanders are dumb or are they out of fuel?

Close combat series is good. At the moment I prefer countre-strike though.
    Operation Flash-point gives a feeling of really being a part of operations.
    Steel Panthers is a golden oldie. If you show your nose too early ( too eager to attack ) you´re dead in this game. I enjoyed the feeling of putting my panzers in a group and see how the Russians came with their tanks and blow the whole lot of them in a straight line. Leopard my fave tank in this game.

Battle of Britain by Talonsoft is an addiction for me. Not much graphics but moving the planes and changing the tactics is fun. Mostly the computer is stuck with its tactics but at times it does have its moments and you scream as Luftwaffe is getting beaten as you thought of making the "Golden rule for attacking"...

Panzer General series is a must. Getting your men up to grade 15 and blasting through enemy lines gives enormous satisfaction...

Mig alley: Great graphics but the plane seems somewhat unrealistic with its moving in the air. Good game though.

;)

10. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

EUROPEAN AIR WAR....

Great graphics
    Attention to detail
    medals
    promotions
    kills
    strafing of convoys-naval and land
    tank-busting missions
    interdiction
    destroying airfields
    COME ON GUYS-WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT.....????

11. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

I just replaced my broken joystick, so now I can agree with Panzerknacker- European Air War is a GREAT game. I haven't picked it up in a while, and had forgotten how good this game is. The attention to detail Panzerknacker mentions- once, while forced to land in the german-held territory in Europe, I actually saw a few troops running across my path at one point while slowing down.
    Incredible game...

And since Kai mentioned it, Close COmbat III is by far the best WW2 strategy game in my opinion...
    heh...

12. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Yes, Close combat is good. And sorry about that, it should be sudden strike, not counter strike. I do not play games as much as I used to ( Ahh Lara Croft :D ) so that mught explain that...

;)

13. Martin Bull

*bump*

14. Stevin

Stevin Ace

I hear that Micro Prose's Combat Flight Sim(?) III which is coming out in november ought to be great. I have never been much of a CFS fan, but will check it out. EAW is definately the game I have played most but there is not much variety where missions are concerned. It is all a bit of 'more of the same'. IL2 is very sweet, but hard to fly. Apparently the flight charactetistics (?) are very true to life. I really start to wonder how the LW pilots kept those 109's in the air some times. But lately I haven't been flying much but have been sticking my nose in books... reading about flying. ;)

15. Kiwi Ace

Kiwi Ace Member

IL-2 is the best for me.

Close combat three is very cool, but the medals are badly done.

16. Heartland

Heartland Member

My vote difinitely goes to "Il-2 Sturmovik", an absolutely redicilous amount of research has gone into that thing, and it shows.

Alos, heads up everyone playing it, since the "Forgotten Battles" expansion will soon be released, focusing on the Winter War and the battles around Lake Balaton in Hungary towards the end of the war. Yay!

17. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Yep....I can be found Sturming as well, be it in the easy mode! :rolleyes:

PS; Oh sorry...I had already replied here.... :rolleyes:

[ 09 October 2002, 03:33 AM: Message edited by: Stevin Oudshoorn ]

18. Timothy

Timothy Member

I think that CFS2 is one of the most realistic flight sims there is. Another great thing about it is that you can download more planes, missions, and campaigns. This gives me continous fun.

I have to agree that EAF is another great game. But not as good as CFS2.

19. qubasiasyu

qubasiasyu recruit

Nobody mentioned Blazing Angels : Squadron of WWII

20. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

You do realize this thread is almost 7 years old, don't you?