• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 02:35 AM

Has anyone played Call of Duty for the PS2 yet? I heard it is good and I wanted to see what you guys thought of it. I heard that this game is different from previous war games because there are tons of soldiers on the battlefield. Is this true? That would truly look amazing if you can see the whole battle. Please post any comments on this game, postive or negative. Thanks for all your help.

#2 Mussolini

Mussolini

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

User's Awards

Posted 03 December 2004 - 02:46 AM

Well, you cant see the whole battlefield - that would be near impossible in a 1st person shooter. I have the game - its got a great storyline. Graphics are good. But yes, there are lots and lots of soldiers on the battlefield with you - its pretty crazy, especailly the opening scenes in Stalingrad. Overall, its a very very good game for the PS2.

HOI 3: Black ICE USA AAR

http://www.ww2f.com/...cracy-a-usaaar/

#3 Austin Sherron

Austin Sherron

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:26 PM

I got my copy of COD as an early bday present a few days ago, and I LOVE IT. The Medal of Honor series was the only reason I bought a PS1 ans PS2, but COD blows MOH out of the water.

Austin

#4 jpatterson

jpatterson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 11:14 PM

I am awaiting Santa Claus for mine. A friend told me today that he is getting rid of his PS2 in favor of an XBOX. His reason was because he heard that Call of Duty is much better on the XBOX. Could there be any merit to this I wonder?

Later

#5 Mussolini

Mussolini

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 5,234 posts

User's Awards

Posted 17 December 2004 - 02:52 PM

The only thing i can think of are just the graphics. Personally, i think its retarded trading in a PS2 for an XBOX. The majority of the games are the same. XBOX just happens to be slightly newer then PS2 and also has slightly better graphics. Either way, PS2 can handle some pretty amazing grahpics - just look at MGS3: Snake Eater for an example of that. COD on PS2 is perfectly fine the way it is.

#6 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 20,294 posts

User's Awards

Posted 18 December 2004 - 03:33 PM

Just got this game yesterday and it seems they can squeeze more and more out of the PS2 engine all the time. The Stalingrad which is the opening game is really great "fun" and in places the noise of shouting and shooting almost makes your ears ache. But that´s war.Great game!! Great graphics and story line so far!
Posted Image

#7 Mussolini

Mussolini

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 5,234 posts

User's Awards

Posted 22 December 2004 - 04:12 PM

Yeah - there are more people on the maps in PS2 version then on the PC version. Makes for some awesome opening scenese.

As for me, i've been playing Call of Duty: United Offensive for the PC on CTF servers or No Tank Servers. Anyone else uave COD:UO for the PC? If you do, and you get popped in the head by a LRDGRat, well, thats me! What i like about UO SP is that once you complete a 'campaign' (ie. the US Battles) it goes into a cut scene that shows you some of the intense fighting you took place in, then a debriefing. The debriefing consists of a little historical information about the campaign, and a map showing you where you fought and where you moved onto for the next battle. Nice touch if you ask me.

#8 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• 20,294 posts

User's Awards

Posted 23 December 2004 - 09:27 AM

With PS2 the Stalingrad battles were an awesome experience, the North Africa business less so unfortunately, but as I am starting the Aachen battles it is once again very inspiring stuff.

I think I have never played any mission in any game before again after completing it just because it was such a great experience but I liked attacking with the T-34 around in Stalingrad...
Posted Image

#9 Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 03:18 AM

I just got a chance to play it today for the PS2. The graphics are superb. In my opionion, this game is slightly better than the Medal of Honor series. I am currently on the Russian portion of the game and have no complaints yet. If you have not purchased this game, I suggest you do.

#10 jpatterson

jpatterson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 02:43 PM

Just opened this from Santa. Can't wait to start.

Merry Christmas

#11 Eisenhower

Eisenhower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 06:00 AM

COD: Finest Hour? My God, this thing is hard. Sure the Russian levels are kinda simple. But once you get to the very end of the Eastern front you either want to literally shoot yourself in the foot or shoot your own allies for their pure stupidity. I find myself yelling "GET OUT OF THE WAY!!" But apparently the characters in this video game cant hear me.
:-P
You are about to embark on the great crusade towards which we have striven these many months - Eisenhower

#12 jpatterson

jpatterson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 04:22 PM

Can anybody offer any pointers for getting down the street in the opening scenes in Aachen. I must be on attempt 15 and I can't make it.

Later

#13 Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 06:20 PM

All you have to do is hide behind the tanks. You have to be patient in this level. I had the same problem. Let the tanks take care of all the MGs. But when there are some panzerschrecks on the ground you have to take them out yourself. Good Luck.

#14 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• 20,294 posts

User's Awards

Posted 31 December 2004 - 08:27 AM

jpatterson:

My way through shortly:

To the first street fight keep first to the left, take the life pack in the burning house, shoot the Germans behind fences. Get to the house on the right to clear the schreck, first the ground floor, get the life pack. Then up the stairs, shoot the Germans, get life pack, change the rifle to MP40 and get the ammo for it. I did not take the schreck. The MP40 is more useful.

Get down, and the tanks start moving. Move ahead afetr the tanks have shot the Germans in the building above, first kill the Germans and schrecks to the right, throw a couple of grenades in good time, then move to the left, kill the shreck man in the gate opening, then to the left, throw grenades and shoot the shreck guys. Collect the life pack.

Follow the tanks through the gate, kill the enemy to the right, collect ammo and life.

Follow the tanks,and they start moving again. Stay behind, and to the left. Throw grenades in good time, as soon Germans keep pouring.After the grenades have exploded quickly to the right side of the tanks, and kill some enemies, then back to the left because otherwise a MG42 can track you from the end of the street. Keep to the left. Throw again grenades, and follow to the door that has been exploded, kill the enemy in front, attack inside and shoot the two shcreck guys.

Then move along the left side to the corner, turn left, inside the building, stay in safe place, and the tanks kill the MG`s. carefully ahead but from now on there were not anymore shcrecks (I think), and you can stay behind the tanks and wait that they do the business.Follow the tanks to the center of Aachen.
Posted Image

#15 jpatterson

jpatterson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 04:44 PM

Thanks guys. I think my problem was/is patience. I made it through the gate just fine. I stick with the Thompson and the M1. To each his own I guess. But when I get to the next corner, the long street on a bit of a downhill, there seems to be a couple of companies of Germans coming out of the houses. They just keep coming. I guess this is where I should lay low and let the tanks do the work. Yesterday I made it through this part somehow. I went into the building where the instructions said to clear the anti-armour off of the 3rd floor. After that, one of the guys with me says "why don't we check out the basement?". So I did and ended up at the town square in a building high up overlooking the town hall. I am supposed to man a machine gun and kill the panzerschreck guys.

Is this an alternate route? Or, is this the way I am supposed to go?

Anyhow, I was only behind the MG for a couple of seconds before I was killed by I don't know what.

Later

#16 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• 20,294 posts

User's Awards

Posted 02 January 2005 - 04:58 PM

I do think that is the correct place to be in the game.

Usually I "died" because I did not watch the life meter close enough and press the life pack fast enough. When the green is low one better be fast with the life packs when you start getting hit or the game is over.

As often you miss one enemy behind your back and he gets to shoot you and you don´t know where the firing´s coming from.

In the town square scene shoot the enemies in the building to the right first, then down below, then back to the building and a couple of rounds below again.That should do it.

Remeber to use the grenades!

The only reason I chose the MP40 is because you get alot of ammo for it during the fighting. Sometimes a sniper rifle is better but in close combat in houses two machine guns are the best, I think.
Posted Image

#17 Mussolini

Mussolini

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 5,234 posts

User's Awards

Posted 02 January 2005 - 05:04 PM

Yeah - i found that i died a lot too. Some of the fighting is pretty intense, and MG Nests are even more deadly then before. That level was tricky - on the downhill where the germans come out in forcei always tossed a few grenades and ran along beside my tanks (they would protect my flank while i took care of the krauts on one side of the street).

#18 jpatterson

jpatterson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 08:51 PM

Well, I finally got past all that and did the tank scenarios. Those were fun. I am approaching the Remagen bridge now. Is this the end of the game?

Later

#19 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• 20,294 posts

User's Awards

Posted 04 January 2005 - 08:50 AM

I guess so as I only played the "easy" difficulty mode, once you get to the top of the southern tower and win the enemies the game is over. I think there will be new scenarios for the Africa battles after completing the game in normal or hard modes. At least there´s room for new scenarios in the list.
Posted Image

#20 jpatterson

jpatterson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 08:38 PM

I played it on the default mode which is "normal". I'll let you know if there is more after I conquer the bridge, which doesn't look too easy so it might be a while.

Later

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users