Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWIIOL Battlefield Europe

Discussion in 'WWII Online' started by WO_Kelly, Oct 2, 2005.

1. WO_Kelly

WO_Kelly Member

Well just spreading the word, but the game WWII Online Battlefeild Europe is coming out soon. It was originally launched in 1999 when it was not even finished and was a huge succes for awhile, but it has kinda trickled down over the years.

THIS GAME IS REAL. This is not some BS BF2 game, this is a game where one shot (to the torso) kills. Tanks have accurate hit properties and a sweet damage model that determines velocity of the shell compared to the armor slop and thickness. There are over 80+ historically accurate vehicles ranging from 1940-1942 on a 1/2 scale map of france. The new patch 1.20 is introducing the Tiger, Churchill 7 and M10. The sides are Germany, England, and France (which becomes american because they have no 1940+ tanks so its american tanks to keep balance).

It has a really good player base and the development heads (the Rats) respond to almost all of the posts on the forums. Community is awsome. 2 months ago Phew, a player, died in a house fire and the community raised $3000.00 for her funeral. I am gonna attach some pics for you guys to view.

Action takes place on the ground with inf and tanks, in the Air and in the sea. All my pics are ground based becuase my joystick sucks too much for air ware and the navy is not my thing. So I am an inf/anti-tank gunner/tanker.

Inf has weapons from rifle, smg, LMG, anti-tank, and sappers. Tanks go from light to heavy and from armoured cars to assult guns (like the StuG series).

There are also factories to bomb to slow down the speed in which the enemy can research new tanks, a critical factor each campaign.

Check out http://www.wwiionline.com/scripts/wwiionline/index.jsp for more info.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[ 02. October 2005, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: WO_Kelly ]

2. WO_Kelly

WO_Kelly Member

some more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the way these screen shots are a bit old. They do not have the new tree, bushes, grass, player models and building skins that are gonna be in 1.20 or are now presently in.

[ 02. October 2005, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: WO_Kelly ]

3. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

Anyone around here play this? As part of my return to my WW2 hobby, I downloaded this game last night (heh, not giving up my gaming hobby!)... and it looks quite intersting!

Basically everything WO_Kelly stated above.

I only played for an hour or so, so I definitely can't give it any sort of thorough review, but it definitely looks to be something worth playing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

And last night, I was one of the last defenders as Nijmegen was overun by the Brits.
    :(

Hopefully the Axis waits until I can log on later tonight to mount a counterattack!

Now if I can only figure out the controls for using armored vehicles...

[​IMG]

5. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Wha.....What!?

CrazyD has returned!

Wlcome back! What took you so long!? [​IMG]

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Yes! Welcome back, CrazyD! ;)

I suppose you want to drive the Tiger tank for the counter attack????

7. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

I spent about 2 hours last night reading Bean and Fowler's book on Russian tanks...
    Then played this WW2 online game for about anotehr 2 hours...

So- Stevin, Kai- it's GOOD- no, GREAT- to be back! Simple explanation, I just got away from my WW2 hobby for a while. Caught up in other things, ya know.

But I really should thank the father-in-law for that book, as flipping through it, my reaction was something along the lines of "Why the *bleep* did I neglect my WW2 stuff for so long??

And of course, as soon as my interest was re-kindled... well, there was one, and only one, OBVIOUS place to go!
    (that would be here ;) )

So looking forward to more of the stuff we all come here for. Just bear with as I brush up on a good amount of forgotten information!

big [​IMG] all around!

Oh, and Kai- I'm stuck on "meatshield duty" for the time being, until I learn the game a bit more and gain some more ranks, so no Tigers for me... yet! ;)

Tho apparently the German Research and Developement office is very close to being able to field our favorite tank, so hopefully I'll see some in the field soon!

(Would have helped to have a Tiger battalion in Nijmegen last night!)

[​IMG]

8. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

Wow... just, wow.

If you can tolerate a VERY hard learning curve (translate- don't mind getting killed ALOT)-

This is THE game for WW2 buffs!

[​IMG]

9. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Yep - ol' Crazy D's definitely back..... [​IMG]

10. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

Back on the forums and back into the books-
    unfortunately, Bernage's Panzers and the Battle of Normandy has only a few pages of info on the Battle for Hill 112, so it looks as if the How book on said battle is definitely on the list!

I should mention tho- I somewhat blame the Belgians for my over-exuberance regarding WW2 Online last night. Those crazy Belgians sure know how to brew up a tasty pint!
    ;)

[​IMG]

11. Stevin

Stevin Ace

[​IMG]

12. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

I figured Stevin might have some input on that topic!
    ;)

Was actually going to start up a beer thread, seeing as how I've developed something of the connisuer's palate over the past half-decade or so, and I'm sure other forum-ites share said appreciation!

[​IMG]

13. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

Update- well, it's looking like, for my gaming anyway, I'll be heading back to World of Warcraft.

At first, WW2 Online is really intriguing, and obviously it has some great potential.

But that learning curve I mentioned? It starts to get tedious. And the game itself has a few flaws that become more and more frustrating when combined with said learning curve.

* "What the hell is going on?"- finding some really good action does not seem to get easier. You'll get lucky now and again- as in the defence of Eindhoven I mentioned. But more often, you spawn in at a mission, spend as much as half an hour searching out the enemy, and wind up finding nothing, no enemy at the location where they supposedly were, and nothing going on. I hooked up with one of the better, more helpful squads- and still, more often than not I'm left trying to figure out where to go/what to do.

*ranks- most every persistent online world game has some for of advancement- as in the more you accomplish in the game, the more options open up to you. WW2 Online does have this- but in a frustrating manner. It took a decent amount of time to gain the first rank- and then I did some more reading and found out you basically don't get any more weapon/vehicle options until you get to the *third* rank. Very frustrating. In Warcraft, the other MMO I play, you get new "things" at every level, and a good number of them.

*physics flaws. Easy to overlook in the first few days of playing when you're still awed by the potential and breadth of the game- but when this wears off, it starts to get more and more frustrating when you can't hit the guy standing right in front of you! I played Battlefield 1942 for about two years, so I'm pretty good (despite being an old-ish fart by gaming standards) at first-person shooter style games- yet I still cannot fathom the physics of this game.

So- my initial reviews were colored by the potential of this game and how impressive it is from a WW2 buff's point of view- but when you get over that and really get into the actual mechanics of the game and the gameplay itself, well...

My Palladin and Hunter in World of Warcraft may have nothing to do with WW2, but they're quite simply more fun to play.

Guess I'll keep the reading and books to WW2 stuff, keep the gaming to... games that are more fun.

Who knows, maybe we'll get a third review of WW2 online if I revisit it, but... bleh.

:(

[​IMG]