We Need Your Help - Become a Site Supporter

For 16 years we've been delivering WWII discussion and research, help support our efforts for the next 16 years. Become a WW2 Forums Patron!

Photo
- - - - -

Battle of Crete 1941

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#51 stevenz

stevenz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:12 PM

Steven;
Amazing that our guys nearly won the battle for Crete-given the handicaps that they were working with. It does say something about the heroic performances of the New Zealand, Australian, British and Cretan troops that they were able to fight the mighty Wehrmacht to near defeat.
Unfortunately modern technology prevailed in this close fought battle.
JeffinMNUSA

So true jeff the same can be said for the Germans in Normandy they didn,t nearly defeat us there but when you look at what we had compared to what they had to throw they put up one hellova fight.

Rommel found out the same thing in the desert war.

LOGISTICS.

#52 Neutron

Neutron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:26 PM

Just for the sake of correctness, the place is not Malame but MALEME.

#53 AndyPants

AndyPants

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:28 PM

Currently reading 'The Lost Battle, Crete 1941' by Callum MacDonald, ....so far a very enjoyable read, as my current knowledge on the battle is rather limited.
All the Best,

Andy

"people who are not themselves are nobody" - General George S. Patton

#54 john.wolfe

john.wolfe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:02 PM

Andy,

If you're interested in reading the Australian and New Zeland perspectives on Crete, at least as written in the official histories, I recommend these links:

New Zealand: Crete | NZETC

Australia: Australia in the War of 1939 The Australian War Museum also has the war diaries hosted for the Aussie units that participated in the battle. Might provide some additional interesting details.

Hope you enjoy these works.

Cheers,

John

#55 AndyPants

AndyPants

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:37 AM

Thanks John for the links,

Yes I'm finding the battle to be very interesting, when im finished I'll definitely read some more sources.

Andy
All the Best,

Andy

"people who are not themselves are nobody" - General George S. Patton

#56 LJAd

LJAd

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:42 AM

test

#57 urqh

urqh

Tea drinking surrender monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,683 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

Ok LJ....i'll test yer...Name one airfield that fell to German airborne troops on the island?

Oh...got you..just testing the thread...sorry..

British Army 1939-1945 - World War II Tribute Video

[URL="http://youtu.be/Zbp_4XBmD4w"]

#58 Brian Smith

Brian Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationBridlington East Riding Yorkshire England

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

Thanks guys for the site and thoughts so far. Carl, do you remember the name of the book. It appears that the Battle is not that well covered in book form.
Was looking on the net and found....

www.crete-1941.org.uk

and http://homepages.for...hwell/crete.htm this covers the British forces on the island.

E

Hi I am trying to trace the 13 Reserve MT Coy RASC during March to July 1941. They landed Suez around 2 March but war diaries are missing. I found this note on another site and wonder if anyone has any ideas if they did serve on Crete, How they got there, how long they stayed etc.

David Smith was a driver with 13MT Reserve Coy, RASC and was captured in Crete in 1941. After Crete and Salonika, he arrived in Stalag VIIIB on 30th August 1941.

It appears this Coy was on Crete prior to August 1941 but not mentioned in the British troops listings (David is not a relative).

Cheers Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users