We Need Your Help - Become a Site Supporter

For 16 years we've been delivering WWII discussion and research, help support our efforts for the next 16 years. Become a WW2 Forums Patron!

Photo
- - - - -

German tanks sent to africa

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#51 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,631 posts
  • LocationKotka,Finland

User's Awards

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:48 AM

BBC News | MEDIA REPORTS | Nazi massacre on island idyll
Posted Image

#52 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 24,752 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:10 PM

Incredible story: I never heard about those pour souls. Poor men. Most didn't even get a proper grave

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#53 Falcon Jun

Falcon Jun

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:59 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there a movie based about this event or using this event as a background for the movie's story. It was a few years ago and I saw it just once.

#54 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 24,752 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:07 PM

Really? if there is I don't know the title but if any one knows it I would love to see it I checke dthe place on a map and you can clearly see that the Italians were trapped and had no other altenative than surrender. Also they did not expect to be executed or deported, otherwise some would have tried to escape with their weapons or at least die while fighting.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#55 Sloniksp

Sloniksp

Ставка

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,217 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:21 PM

Yes this sounds like the movie with Nicholas Cage.... Sgt. something Medellin?
The war against Russia will be such that it cannot be conducted in a knightly fashion. This struggle is one of ideologies and racial differences and will have to be conducted with unprecedented, unmerciful and unrelenting harshness. -Adolf Hitler

#56 Owen

Owen

O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:55 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there a movie based about this event or using this event as a background for the movie's story. It was a few years ago and I saw it just once.

Captain Corelli's Mandolin
see this bit, the massacre
YouTube - mg42

#57 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 24,752 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:02 AM

Excellent Wessex I'm impressed by your culture. This story is really interesting , I always like discovering new chapters and this is new for me.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#58 Falcon Jun

Falcon Jun

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:26 AM

Yes this sounds like the movie with Nicholas Cage.... Sgt. something Medellin?

Yes I remember it starred Nicolas Cage. Now I have to find the time to review that movie again.

#59 von Poop

von Poop

Waspish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,392 posts
  • LocationPerfidious Albion

User's Awards

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:22 AM

On Captain Correlli's Mandolin,
The book is beautiful art.
The film is mawkish rubbish.
Be sure to read the book first!

Cheers,
Adam.

It's only the Internet...

#60 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 24,752 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:54 PM

I will, but I will have to buy it first.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#61 Sloniksp

Sloniksp

Ставка

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,217 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 03:00 PM

See I watched the movie, and after it waisted 2 hours of my life, im a little hesitent on reading the book! :D
The war against Russia will be such that it cannot be conducted in a knightly fashion. This struggle is one of ideologies and racial differences and will have to be conducted with unprecedented, unmerciful and unrelenting harshness. -Adolf Hitler

#62 von Poop

von Poop

Waspish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,392 posts

User's Awards

Posted 26 October 2007 - 03:29 PM

Seriously Slon, I rate the book as just about the best novel I've ever read (possibly just behind the Wasp Factory), it lead me off into reading all of de Berniere's books, some of which are rather odd, bit heavy on the magical realism. They did make a pleasant change from all the 'rivet-counting' stuff I normally read though ;).

Cheers,
Adam.

#63 Owen

Owen

O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:11 PM

Wasp Factory

Cor I read that yonks ago early 90s(?), Iain Banks stuff, strange reading. Great stuff.
Read a few, can't remember which ones now, never ended as I thought they would.
Might get Corelli out of the libary next time I'm there.

#64 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 24,752 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:03 AM

Hmm, it's sound tempting, I a have now several opinions, I guess I should read it and have my own and wish I made the choice.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#65 george goodew

george goodew

Conscript

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:11 AM

Finding this very interesting.I do micro armor table top battles and i find North Africa very interesting from the stand point of it being hard to hide troop movement and hard to hide personnel do to the open ta-rain.I have read stories and talked to my uncle  who was in North Africa, Sicily and Italy he was in the 34th Red Bull Division.He was telling me the we practiced plunging fire to destroy enemy tanks at long range even so the odds still weren't that high of us penetrating there  top armor at best we hoped to blow off there tracks or kill the tank commander on the first salvo.The odds of he( high explosive) round doing damage to a tank is slim even hitting the thin top armor of a tank all they could hope for was jamming the turret or maybe hitting close to the track. 

#66 yan taylor

yan taylor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

Hello George and welcome.

There was not a lot of difference in the performance of the two main tank guns used by Germany and Britain from 1941-42, the British 2 pdr was not that bad of a gun but the British didn’t issue any HE rounds (apparently they did develop one), the German 50mm L/42 KwK 38 was on par with the 2 pdr and the Germans made no bones upon issuing HE rounds, here is some comparisons;

2 pdr (L/50)

Muzzle Velocity: 792 m/s (AP Mk 1)

Max Range: 7.000m

Armour Penetration: 47mm @ 500m @ 30°

50mm KwK 38 (L/42)

Muzzle Velocity:  685 m/s (APC)

Max Range:

Armour Penetration: 47mm @ 500m @ 30°

I have added the U.S. 37mm and Italian 47mm as comparison;

37mm M5 (L/53)

Muzzle Velocity: 884 m/s (APC)

Max Range: 8.600m

Armour Penetration: 52mm @ 500m @ 30°

47mm M37 (L/32)

Muzzle Velocity: 630 m/s (AP)

Max Range: 8.600m

Armour Penetration: 44mm @ 500m @ 30°

Going back to what this thread was all about (German Tanks sent to Africa), I read in a book by Bruce Quarrie (Panzers in the Desert) that one complete ship load of Stug IIIs were sunk en route to Africa, he doesn’t say what year this happened or what Ausf they were but I would imagine that it was late 1942 or early 1943 and that they could have been Ausf Fs or Gs.

Can anyone elaborate on this please?

Yan.

#67 von Poop

von Poop

Waspish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,392 posts

User's Awards

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

Going back to what this thread was all about (German Tanks sent to Africa), I read in a book by Bruce Quarrie (Panzers in the Desert) that one complete ship load of Stug IIIs were sunk en route to Africa, he doesn’t say what year this happened or what Ausf they were but I would imagine that it was late 1942 or early 1943 and that they could have been Ausf Fs or Gs.

Can anyone elaborate on this please?

One loss of a couple mentioned on Feldgrau:

http://www.feldgrau....php?f=44&t=8271

• In August 1942 2 StuG IIIs and a SdKfz 9 prime mover were lost in transit when ship sunk [StuG-Battery 90]

#68 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• 12,311 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:39 AM

Is this what you're looking for?

Sturmgeschütz-Batterie 90

Nov 42 - formed from 1./Sturmgeschütz-Abt. 242 and sent to Africa (6x StuG III F/8  2 StuGs lost in transit from Sicily to Tunisia)

http://stugiii.com/s.../heerunits.html

The dates coincide with what you posited. I assume that the rest of the information is correct.

Posted Image

Lou

#69 yan taylor

yan taylor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

Well guys I reckon Mr Quarrie has been fed the wrong info and the links you two have posted confirms this, thanks.

Looking at the seven 15cm sFH13/1(Sf) auf Ge. Lorraine Schlepper (f) being lost at sea,

Rommel must have been sent a total of 30 of these AFVs with 23 arriving safely.

Yan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users