2 replies to this topic

#1 Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 01:38 AM

Navy NewsStand Remains Recovered From Glacier Crash

The remains of U.S. naval aviators, who were lost after their P-2V Neptune patrol craft crashed in Greenland more than 40 years ago, were finally returned home Aug. 17.

A 16-member recovery team headed by Naval Air Force, U.S. Atlantic Fleet (CNAL), departed Norfolk, Va., Aug. 2 to recover the remains of aviators lost in the crash on the Kronborg Glacier in Greenland. ...

The P-2V Neptune patrol aircraft disappeared over the North Atlantic during a routine reconnaissance mission Jan. 12, 1962. The Navy initially believed the aircraft crashed at sea until August 1966, when a British geologic survey team discovered the wreckage on the glacier. ...

Photos of the recovery mission.
This information has been posted for non-commercial, educational, and research purposes.
- - - -
"The world will little note nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here." - Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 19, 1863
- - - -
"The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past." - William Faulkner

#2 TA152

TA152

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:08 AM

I wonder why the Navy waited 38 years to try and recover the remains since the story said the British found the site in 1966 ?

Never mind I read the full story and got the answer!! Greenland is not green. :eek: :eek:

Thanks Crapgame graemlins/vc.gif

[ 20. August 2004, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: TA152 ]
I need a bailout of only $500,000

#3 Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 02:52 AM

You're welcome TA152.
This information has been posted for non-commercial, educational, and research purposes.
- - - -
"The world will little note nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here." - Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 19, 1863
- - - -
"The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past." - William Faulkner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users