• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bigiceman

bigiceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 04:03 PM

So here I am in Hawaii looking for old military sights that I can climb around in while on vacation. I came accross a website that is of great interest in my quest and has information on places in the rest of the United States for anyone else who may be interested.

Coastal Defense Survey Group

Specifically for Hawii on the island of Oahu where Pearl Harbor is I found this map with general locations of the military forts and installations.

Oahu coastal defences

After I get away from the family to take some pictures I will post them.
PEOPLE SLEEP PEACEABLY IN THEIR BEDS AT NIGHT ONLY BECAUSE ROUGH MEN STAND READY TO DO VIOLENCE ON THEIR BEHALF. GEORGE ORWELL

#2 The_Historian

The_Historian

Pillboxologist

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,311 posts
  • LocationStirling, Scotland

Posted 25 November 2005 - 05:45 PM

Superb, Ice! :cool: graemlins/salute.gif Can't wait to see the pics. Enjoy yourself.
Regards,

Gordon

#3 Bill Murray

Bill Murray

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 03:15 AM

Correct me if I am wrong about this Big, but I do believe that some of those coastal defense guns were salvaged from the battleships Oklahoma and Arizona shortly after the Pearl Harbor attack in order to bolster defenses against percieved invasion threat. Be sure to keep an eye out for these pieces.
Bill Murray

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy."
Billy Currington

#4 bigiceman

bigiceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 04:08 AM

Bill I did read that they incorporated some guns from the Arizona and possibly other battlewagons that were sunk on Pearl Harbor Day into shore batteries. They also said that they were salvaged after the war for their metal. Maybe one of the military museums here will have something about it.
PEOPLE SLEEP PEACEABLY IN THEIR BEDS AT NIGHT ONLY BECAUSE ROUGH MEN STAND READY TO DO VIOLENCE ON THEIR BEHALF. GEORGE ORWELL

#5 TA152

TA152

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 06:49 AM

I looked at the link you gave but did not find anything on Fort Travis in Galveston Texas. I was looking for photos of what it looked like in WWI and WWII. You guys have any leads ???
http://andy_bennett....om/travis1.html
Look forward to your pictures Ice. tongue.gif tongue.gif
I need a bailout of only $500,000

#6 The_Historian

The_Historian

Pillboxologist

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,311 posts
  • LocationStirling, Scotland

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:53 AM

TA,
Every site I checked on Site O only has those two photos we've already seen.
I just remembered the US Coast Defense Study Group . Have a look at their site-it might have something on Travis.

[ 26. November 2005, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: The_Historian ]
Regards,

Gordon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users