• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Onthefield

Onthefield

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:34 AM

Does anyone know if the upcoming World Cup is going to be on any stations on TV in the US or am I going to have to hijack some signals again, lol. Any hints or info would be great.
Hence the saying: One may know how to conquer without being able to do it- Sun Tzu

#2 Flying Tiger

Flying Tiger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:58 AM

hmm maybe in the spring or summer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
P-40, P-51, and the Spitfire for my opinion these were the three best allied aircraft.

#3 belle

belle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:17 AM

i know its not as popular as soccer but surely you think as a major sporting event it would be. How did you hijack some signals -sounded pretty funny when i read that. Anyway "maybe in the spring or summer" i guess you were wondering when the WC is on and i think its November.
www.famousconflicts.com

#4 Onthefield

Onthefield

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:50 PM

What a surprise NZ All Blacks are completely destroying everything in their path. Go All Blacks! Sorry all you English guys, they just don't have it, lol.

RWC 2007 - Photos

OH YEAH!
Hence the saying: One may know how to conquer without being able to do it- Sun Tzu

#5 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 21,830 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:24 PM

Yes the All Blacks rule, but other teams are still on the field and don't blame the British too much they may not be the best, but they still beat the US lol.... As to getting signals in the US. you could try Eurosport which is availble for free and has games and at least the summaries of the day.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#6 Onthefield

Onthefield

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 05:38 PM

Alright Skip. I'll try to be a little bit easier on the Brits team, lol. Eurosport, I'll look into it and see if I can get anything. Hopefully!

#7 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 21,830 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 05:48 PM

Let me know if you can get it on the internet. it's available on Astra satelite , but that's in Europe and I don't think it goes beyond the canaries in the Atlantic. Maybe there is a relay. If not, try TV5 they are easy to get in the U.S. you won't have the match ,but a news report with the summaries (in French)

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#8 Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu

Aquila non capit muscas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,809 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:42 PM

Go, All Blacks!

Posted Image

How this attracts sheep Is beyond me.

Quousque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra...

#9 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 21,830 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:09 AM

Hey we are still in by kicking the Irish out yesterday ! Quite unexpected I must admit, but a nice ticket for the quarter finals.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#10 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 21,830 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:17 PM

Good bye All Blacks! France has beaten New zealand 20-18 after a great match. At one point the French were loosing 13-null, but they managed to do what was thought to be mission impossible.
Same great and unexpected victory for England who beat Australia 12-10.
A terrible day for the southern hemisphere and a great half final between England and France next week.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#11 Von Poop

Von Poop

Waspish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,161 posts
  • LocationPerfidious Albion

User's Awards

Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:34 PM

the British too much they may not be the best, but they still beat the US lol...

And the Aussies.
:D:D:D:D:D

victory for England who beat Australia 12-10

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Cheers,
Adam.

By the way, did I mention?:
:D:D
It's only the Internet...

#12 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 21,830 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:56 AM

Next Saturday will be awesome, whoever wins. I just hope supporters will be as fair play as they were yesterday.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#13 Onthefield

Onthefield

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:17 PM

Sorry guys but I have to push for Argentina on this one.

I'm just bitter that the All Blacks got ousted.
:smg:

#14 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 21,830 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 04:22 PM

Fair enough. Me too, but only to meet the Pumas as a revenge and beat them at the final! The French Rugby team is really my favorite. The Argentines and the English only made it because of their drops and the French beat the All Blacks even when they were 13 points behind at one point... so even if the British are a serious team , the odds are against them this time.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#15 Hawkeye90

Hawkeye90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:54 PM

England really don't deserve to be where they are, they are not the team they were 4 years ago. France is a far superior team. I still refuse to take The Springboks out of the picture. Despite their performance against Fiji, I think they will top The Pumas easily. South Africa and France will be the final.
-Patrick
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#16 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,414 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:57 PM

the US team I think played what...the Samonans and got stomped 2 weeks ago on versus ? wasn't a pretty sight

#17 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 21,830 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:23 AM

France agaisnt the Springboks? Sounds interesting too. We still have a few days ahead of us and we"ll know.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#18 wilconqr

wilconqr

Dishonorably Discharged

• Dishonorably Discharged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:41 AM

So, is rugby in any way comparable with American football, I.e., strategy/tactics, or just a big (seemingly), senseless brawl? Rugby has always reminded me of Basketball with Ghetto Rules. And what's that game that you Briton's fervidly cheer on (in a London pub) where a guy hits a ball with a stick and runs to one base and then back again? I have no idea what the hell that is either:confused:!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#19 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 21,830 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:59 AM

Nothing to do with a senseless brawl there are very strict rules, strategies and tactics. The reason I prefer Rugby compared to U.S. football is because of the "time outs" and the commercials. Rugby periodes are 2x 40 minutes and it's just plain war. There is only one commercial break during the whole match.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#20 wilconqr

wilconqr

Dishonorably Discharged

• Dishonorably Discharged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 02:11 AM

American football has penalties for unsportsmanlike conduct, off sides, pass interferance, etc.. I believe I've seen Rugby matches get to the point of fist fighting. What are the rules/like?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#21 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,534 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 10 October 2007 - 02:38 AM

There are several versions of rugby, or so it seems to me. I saw one that very much reminded me of American football. If I remember correctly, the refs or the players spotted ball after each tackle then the team that had the ball kinda scooted it back to one the players behind them and rolling fight started all over again, until they were tackled and the spotted the ball ..... It's been a while since I saw that game.

I liked Aussie Rules football. It used to broadcast here years ago. After I figured out the rules, I enjoyed the game. It looked to me much like an organized fight most of the time. The dapper guys in the white fedoras and dinner jackets that indicated the goals were a hoot.

Best Regards,  
JW :slipdigit:

SlidigitAxe.png

#22 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 21,830 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:20 AM

Courtesy is part of Rugby and fist fights are certainly not allowed. In my opinion even supporters are more fair play and I think soccer is more violent regarding tackling.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#23 Owen

Owen

O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:25 AM

A huge FRENCH rugby fight.
Rugby League I think rather than Union.
YouTube - RUGBY FIGHT
Lots more rugby fights on You Tube.
Like this one too.
YouTube - Rugby Fight

They all seem to be French. :)

#24 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 21,830 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:15 AM

They all seem to be French. :)

Excellent!

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#25 Onthefield

Onthefield

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:36 PM

I've only discovered rugby about 5 years ago and I can tell you now. It is not similar to football.

Growing up in the states watching football, I never liked it due to the stop and go and just waiting to see what happens in the next 30 sec. play but rugby in a non-stop game where the rules ARE strictly enforced and fighting hardly seen.

Wilconqr: The main differences are you cannot throw the ball forward (only side or backward laterals), when the ball hits the ground it is still in play and the player holding it needs to hand it back in a reasonable amount of time in order to avoid the penalty "holding on" while the men behind him guard the other players from "raking" the ball out. There are MANY MANY others but those are the huge major differences. I actually recently found a rugby club here on Long Island, NY sponsored and connected to the USA Eagles (not that that's saying much) and I will be joining it in February to be on the team. Absolutely looking forward to those matches.

PS- the other game with the stick and running back and forth is called cricket (I just didn't ever like that game though, sry)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users