Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Here we go again

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by PzJgr, May 31, 2007.

1. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

MOSCOW, Russia (Reuters) -- Russia's test firing of an intercontinental ballistic missile this week was in response to U.S. steps that have sparked an arms race and undermined world security, Russian President Vladimir Putin says.

"Our American partners have left the ABM (Anti-Ballistic Missile) Treaty. We have warned them then that we will come out with a response to maintain the strategic balance in the world," Putin told a news conference Thursday.

"We conducted a test of a new strategic ballistic missile with multiple warheads, and of a new cruise missile, and will continue to improve our resources."

"We are not the initiators of this new round of the arms race," said Putin. "(Our partners) are stuffing eastern Europe with new weapons. A new base in Bulgaria, another in Romania, a site in Poland, radar in the Czech Republic . . . what are we supposed to do? We cannot just observe all this."

Russia test-fired a new intercontinental ballistic missile on Tuesday featuring multiple warheads that senior officials said could pierce any missile defense system, including the planned U.S. shield in Europe.

Russia says the U.S. missile defence shield is a threat to its security and will change the strategic balance in Europe, but Washington dismisses such fears, saying the shield is intended to counter "rogue states."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/05/31/russia.missile.reut/index.html

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

3. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

And what a missile it is!!

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Scary thoughts... Iran should be threatened, not Russia.

5. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Seems to me that if Iran was to really launch a missile into Europe, it would be more practical to launch one through Turkey or Italy not Poland, Czech Republic or Georgia as that would mean the missile would have to travel further and go over Russian airspace which it would then fall victim to Russian defenses. Just doesnt seem to practical, to me at least.

Korea? well this just seems even more far fetched.

6. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Slonisksp, instead of a flat map, use a globe to look at a missile's trajectory. Spherical geometry is not the same thing as planar geometry.

7. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Still doesnt make too much sense to me. Why build a missile defense shield in northern Europe and not southern Europe?

8. Za Rodinu

Get a globe and a piece of string. Then connect Teheran and Berlin with the string, and see where it goes over.

9. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Very well, I will be back after this experiment!

10. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

And I announce the experiment a success! :D

I find it hard to believe though that Iran possesses nor will possess in the near future such missile technology which could reach Europe. Afterall it is easier to create the bomb then a missile which can travel at such a distance.

Unless im mistaken only a handfull of countries possess such technology... U.S. Great Britain, France, Russia and China...

Though I do agree that such a shield would be necessary in Poland in case of a Russian attack on Europe or an attemp by Russia to annex the country.

11. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I suggest every big nation leader watches the movie Dr Strangelove everytime they start thinking "big"...

12. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Here's another one........

" The deployment of U.S. missile defense system elements in East Asia is aimed not only against North Korea but also against China, an expert with the Hong Kong think-tank Kanwa said Monday "

http://en.rian.ru/world/20070604/66650397.html

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Sounds to me as if Putin is paniking too quickly and all the other commies are starting to follow.

Sorry if my post hurts, im still going through the meds thing. :snoopy:

14. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Couldn't the same thing be said about Bush as he is placing missile shields to protect Europe from countries that pose absolutely no threat?

15. Za Rodinu

No threat, yet. NK a few months ago tried a nuclear device, a dud but a nuclear device anyway. They already have the missiles to carry them. Iran is hard at it. So if they present no threat today, June 5th '07, will they present a threat tomorrow? And is it not better to be prepared today than not so tomorrow?

16. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

My question is why do the old eastern bloc countries want to be involved with the US systems? Has Putin negotiated with these countries or not? If he did why did he fail?

Just a couple of questions in-between...

17. Richard

Richard Expert

Will Putin pull the plug on the gas?

George Bush is trying to go out on a high note with this one which is really is close to the knuckle, as for Iran I would had thought Israel was there main target and anyway Israel has got there eye on Iran 24/7.

18. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I believe the countries in question are now members of NATO and so are entitled to receive US support.

19. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Or to re-phrase that, are willing to exchange various economi benefits for becoming another target.

20. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Isolationism is starting to sound real good right about now