Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

4460271 Pte J Saxby South Staffordshire Regiment KIA 3 Aug 1944

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Ben Trueman, Jul 15, 2022.

1. Ben Trueman

Ben Trueman New Member

Hi guys, my names Ben I'm 57 and live in Lincolnshire. I served in the RAF for 27 yrs and currently drive petrol tankers for a living. Ive been interested in both WW1 & WW2 since I was a young lad, something I inherited from my Dad. Ive recently (2 days ago) found out where my Dads Uncle was killed and originally buried in WW1. Something my Dad had been trying to do for over 50yrs. Thankfully there are people on other sites (The Great War (1914 - 1918) Forum) who have vast knowledge of the war and where to find information, and without their help I would not have got far.

The reason for joining was on a similar mission. My partners Grandfather was killed during WW2, on the 3 Aug 1944 during Operation Overlord. His details are 4460271 Pte Jack Saxby South Staffordshire Regt. He is buried at Fontenay Le Pesnel War Cemetery, France. What I'm trying to find out is information on where/how he was killed.
    If anybody can help, point me in the right direction I would be most grateful. We are hoping to travel to Normady in Aug, to visit his grave. We will also be travelling to Ypres, in Belgium to visit my Great Uncles grave at Hooge War Cemetery. received_726363745332973.jpeg

2. Owen

Owen O

3. Ben Trueman

Ben Trueman New Member

Owen, thank you for your input. I have done as you suggested and joined the site WW2Talk.com, hopefully get some feedback. Had a look on the the Regimental museum, who offer a research facility, which I will investigate.