Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Alternative History: Stalin making a separate peace with Hitler

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe' started by Kwame, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Kwame

Kwame New Member

I've stumbled on this small Youtube channel that has some really good content on it called "Skeleton Keys Production SKP". Saw this video on the Eastern Front and Operation Bagration, where he goes into detail about the Operation before then imagining what would have happened if the Soviets had just made a separate peace with Hitler and just left the Western Allies to fight the rest of the war themselves.

Let me know what you guys think of it, it seems to be pretty decent but maybe I've missed something that he forgot to cover properly.

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Do you know the producer?

Kwame likes this.
  3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

If I understood correctly, he talks about peace in August 1944, and that Germany was at its weakest and the USSR at its strongest. Why would Stalin want peace? Also I wonder was Hess shot down in Scotland? He gives I guess quite correct figures for possible German forces if almost all troops were sent to west but how many were Volkssturm? They were not normal units. I have read that the ' best ' solution idea was to send German troops to East and let the Allied forces enter quite freely and fight communism together not vice versa. Anyway, if Stalin accepted peace I cannot see him stop on August 1944 battle lines. He had much better cards to discuss terms for peace. And the more land he gained, the more area to use as a protective belt. In 1941 the Soviet strategy was to take war to the enemy area. Not sure what it was in 1944. Just some thoughts...

Kwame and ColHessler like this.
  4. Kwame

Kwame New Member

Nah I don't know the producer, just came up on suggested videos

5. Kwame

Kwame New Member

I think that as he said in the video, Stalin may have been like "we've lost enough and have pushed the Germans back off our land whilst seizing their oil fields, not our problem anymore". Also, yes Hess was shot down in Scotland in 1941, and who knows about the Volkstrum. The Germans dreamt of a plan of ganging up with the West against the Communists, but this would never have happened, as the West by the 1940s accepted Soviet existence (unlike in the Russian Civil War). The Cold War was caused by this protective belt of Soviet occupation in these lands, otherwise it was live and let live.

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

In a curious way, in 1942 Stalin might have accepted the peace offering. But after Stalingrad and Kursk it was all over. Germany would be annihilated.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  7. Kwame

Kwame New Member

Yes I think that's very true, in 1942 it would have been from Soviet weakness, by 1944, from Soviet superiority.