Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Army Group commanders

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe October 1939 to February 1943' started by Friedrich, May 19, 2002.

1. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Hallo!

I have been making some research about the German Sommer offensive of 1942 in the South. I have already got the information about all the forces involved, the name of division commanders, photos, etc.

But I am very confused about the commanders of the army groups. I know that Heeresgruppe Sued was leaded first by excellent Gerd von Runstedt until December 8th 1941 and was replaced by another excellent soldier, Walther von Reichenau, but we all know that he died in February. So, awesome Fedor von Bock took command, but jealous Hitler dismissed him on July 14th. Who took command then?

Heeresgruppe Sued was divided in Heeresuntergruppe A und B. B was leaded bY Generaloberst Maximilian Freiherr Karl Maria von Weichs and A by another good officer, GFM Wilhelm List.

But by the time of the encirclement in Stalingrad List was out and army group A was leaded by Ewald von Kleist, Don group by Von Manstein and B group by who if Von Weichs had taken command of heeresgruppe Sued?

And first, Von Kleist was in command of 4 Panzergruppe, then 1 Panzerarmee and then Group A? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa!!!!!!!!

Would somebody help me or I'll become nuts!

2. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

This may sound even crazier but didn't Hitler take over the position of Army Group South? I even say that he make have taken command of an army or Korps. This is why he actually took the blame for the debacle of Stalingrad.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Friedrich--I will have more time to look for more info for you tomorrow. The only thing in that time frame that comes to mind (Im without almost all of my books and notes as they are in storage out of town) is that List was in command of Army Group Sud at that time.

4. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Yes, now I understand things better.

Who replaced Fedor von Bock as commander of Heeresgruppe Sued was Wilhelm List.

Who replaced Wilhelm List as commander of Heeresuntergruppe A was Ewald von Kleist.

Maximilian von Weichs remained as Heeresuntergruppe B.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Friedrich, speaking of von Kleist. Did I ever tell you that I own a mint set of his shoulderboards when he was a mere Rittmeister in the 5th Uhlan Cavalry Regiment in the years between 1905 and 1915? :D

6. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

I did not understand quite well what you have but sounds interesting.

Some ribbons of what? Or his stripes? Or a copy of whatever? Is it original?

I am very confussed...

But please, let me know.

I admire Ewald von Kleist a bit, so it'd be interesting.

Do you know that he travelled to England and talked to Winston Churchill about Hitler's madness?

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hello Friedrich--I have a mint set of his shoulderboards (shulterklappen) these go on the shoulders of uniforms to show the soldiers rank. Ewald von Kleist was a Rittmeister in the 5th Uhlan Cavalry Regiment somewhere in the years of 1905-1915, as the pattern of the shoulderboards show. They are of VERY heavy construction quality. These shoulderboards were once owned by von Kleist himself. I got these from a German dealer who has many of his items for sale--or had. I got the only set of his Rittmeisters shoulderboards that are known to exist. Rittmeister is equal to the rank of Hauptmann--but meains that he is of Royal heritage.

8. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Yes, Karl. You meant the stripes... well, I got your point anyway...

It think that's is wonderful to have someone so famous' relique! Well, it is not Goering's Grosskreuz but it is something...

My grandfather has got Fedor von Bock's EK II earned in WWI. He gave him it in 1944. They were very close friends. Even if one was a major and the other a genious field marshall...

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you and, I hope your Opa leaves you his co's EK2. I know collectors who would pay aLOT of money to have that EK--with provinance of course. I would go into debt further to have that cross as well.

I know you would never part with it and would hope you would not. [​IMG]

10. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

How much would they pay...? He he!

No, of course I would not sell it. It is a relique just for its own, we can add it the enormous historical value it has. Just like your Von Kleist's stripes.

I know we all would like to have Rudel's golden RK, Hartmann or Galland's diamond RK or even Gšring's Grosskreuz...

My grandfather told me that field marshall Von Bock had promised him to give him his lovely Pour le MŽrite, joking, of course... He said that because they were good friends and both liked joking and beside Odre pour le MŽrite is the most beautiful war medal ever...

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

If you DID ever want to sell it--you know who to call on first--right? ;) ;) [​IMG] :D

PLM was indeed beautiful--made of solid gold with the blue enameling. They usually go for about $12,000 to $25,000