Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Bataan & Corregidor

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Rick the Librarian, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Rick the Librarian

Rick the Librarian Member

I have made a sort of specialty of books on Bataan and Corregidor. Some books I recommend:

1) "Death March" by Donald Knox. An "oral" history with a number of ex-POWs written about 20 years ago. It takes them from when they arrived in the Philippines to their liberation.

2) "Bataan: Our Last Ditch" by John Whitman. The first "modern" telling of the Bataan campaign in some time. Lots of extra details.

3) "Doomed at the Start" by Bill Bartsch. Details the story of the pilots and ground personnel that flew (or serviced) fighters in the Philippines. VERY detailed and comprehensive.

4) "Corregidor: The Saga of a Fortress" by Belote and Belote (brothers). Written a long time ago but still the best "beginning" book on loss and recapture of this island fortress.

There are many more but this is a good start.

2. hfxmitter

hfxmitter Member

Thanks for the info, yes i am a devoute reader of historical books and articles particularly about Bataan and Corregidor. I just wonder if those actuall film footage(s) about Bataan and specially Corregidor still exists and been preserved and recopied, since we all know that footages were shot in celluloid film in those days and celluloids breaks down and deteriorates over time. Film footages specially those documenting the guns and mortars in action in 1942 during corregidor's support of the many battles of Bataan specially when the japanese attempted to out flank the USAFFE at Longaskawayan pt when they made amphibious landings there. I just don't remember if it was batteries Way or Geary (12 inch mortars) that laid a barrage at that place that helped decimate the japanese landing force. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). Yes, i will definitely check the books you mentioned above.

Thanks for the info.
    Sam

3. hfxmitter

hfxmitter Member

Thanks for the info, yes i am a devoute reader of historical books and articles particularly about Bataan and Corregidor. I just wonder if those actuall film footage(s) about Bataan and specially Corregidor still exists and been preserved and recopied, since we all know that footages were shot in celluloid film in those days and celluloids breaks down and deteriorates over time. Film footages specially those documenting the guns and mortars in action in 1942 during corregidor's support of the many battles of Bataan specially when the japanese attempted to out flank the USAFFE at Longaskawayan pt when they made amphibious landings there. I just don't remember if it was batteries Way or Geary (12 inch mortars) that laid a barrage at that place that helped decimate the japanese landing force. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). Yes, i will definitely check the books you mentioned above.

Thanks for the info.
    Sam

4. AnywhereAnytime

AnywhereAnytime Member

5. YelloShirtUSN

YelloShirtUSN Member

An excellent book, one of my top 10 or so on the subject is Prisoners of the Japanese by Gavin Daws It follows two contractors captured from Wake Island to liberation in 1945. There is quite a bit on the Battan Death March. If you haven't read it I highly recomend it.

6. bigrigol23

bigrigol23 recruit

"When Men Must Live" by Kenneth B. Murphy and James T. Murphy. James Murphy's account of the Death March and his days in POW camps. Great book. lots of pictures.when men must live to purchase a copy.