Les Forges On the evening of 18 Dec Peiper despatched strong recce patrols, consisting of his 10th and 11th SS-Pz Gren companies in halftracks, upstream of the Lienne in search for an alternative river crossing. The 10th Company forded the river at the Moulin de Rahier, the 11th at Les Forges, where a wooden span replaced the original stone bridge, blown by the retreating Germans in September. The wooden bridge was too light for the heavy tanks of the KG Peiper, but could carry the halftracks.That evening, around 1900 o'clock, 10 to 12 halftracks having crossed the Lienne turned south towards Neufmoulin. In the darkness part of the halftacks missed the junction at the Lienne bridge and moved on along the valley road and reached Trou-de-Bra, before they noticed their error. En route two halftracks were lost on mines. Probing in the direction of Werbomont, they were staved off in the darkness by incoming troops of the 30th US Infantry Division (2nd Bn/119th Infantry), who were to screen the arrival of the 82nd Airborne at Werbomont. After incurring some further losses the Germans scurried back to the east bank of the Lienne. View attachment 19912 The bridge at Les Forges rebuild in stone.