Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Could use some good thoughts for my grandpa

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Krystal80, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

He's the one I have done so much research for and had his medals replaced. He just turned 85 on the 14th and early this week started having chest pains. He is scheduled for a heart stint tomorrow and will hopefully come home Christmas day. He is more worried about us all fussing over him, but my grandma is beside herself with worry. He had one done last year and recovered very well. My grandpa is a very active man, still plays golf regulary, rides horses and ropes and hunts deer and elk. I think he is just doing more than his heart can handle and the Dr said he needs to slow down, which is going to be next to impossible. Thanks everyone

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester Staff Member

Best wishes, and a speedy recovery!

3. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Hi Krystal,

my best wishes for a quick recovery to your Grandpa!

4. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

my best wishes for your grandpa..ray..

5. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

He is in our thoughts, wish him well and a Merry Christmas.

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

Best wishes, Krystal. Tell him to have a Merry Christmas, and I hope I can be as active when I'm 85.

7. Mehar

Mehar Ace

Fingers crossed here for the best Krystal.

I too hope I can be as active as your grandfather at that age!

8. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Tell the old boy to behave in the hospital and don't flirt with the young nurses too much. Note that I said "too much." Since it is Christmas, he can flirt some, plus he probably can get away it real easy.

9. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Best wishes for your Grandpa from me, and as Lou mentioned I hope I'm as active in twenty some years as he!

10. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

11. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

Thanks everyone. He did great and will be coming home on Christmas. He had pressure in his chest and his arm was numb and had some sweating spells for 4-5 days I guess before he told my grandma. She made him go to the Dr when he was wanting to wait until after Christmas so he wouldn't interfere with anyone's plans. He's a great man and always thinking of everyone else first. One Dr wanted to do a bypass and the other said a stint would be good for now so he went with the stint-less risky and he can have the bypass later if need be.

I don't think I'm as active as him at 30 LOL. He has a blast playing outside with my 2yr old son if that tells ya anything.
    View attachment 12288

Attached Files:

Gebirgsjaeger and brndirt1 like this.
  12. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

Your grandfather is a wise man. Learn alot from him.

13. Lady Prime

Lady Prime Member

Prayers sent to you and your grandfather!

14. Greg Canellis

Greg Canellis Member

My best wishes to your grandpa for a speedy recovery.

I don't want to be a sour puss and tell an unpleasant story, but a hospital stay for my uncle in 2007 ended sadly. He was a WWII vet, and just two months shy of his 91st birthday. He was not as physically active as your grandpa, but he was always up and about, and working with his hands, always fixing things around the house, and for neighbors. He was admitted to the hospital with a touch of pneumonia, and they wanted to perform some tests. Tests can be a slow process, and finally after three days, he was told he could go home. At the last minute, his doctor said he wanted to conduct another test, and my uncle would have to remain in hospital. My uncle freaked out, started pulling tubes out of his arm, and got out of the bed, saying, "I am going home with my wife!" His wife, nurses, and the doctor tried to calm him, but he tripped over something in the room, fell and broke his hip. Within a day or so, my uncle passed away. I tell this because we like to think of a fiesty ol' WWII vet as something comical, but some do need to just slow/calm down and take it easy, because their bodies are not as young as they may feel.

Greg C.

15. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Hope your Grandpa continues to do well and won't need to have another arthoplasty or have the bypass. Glad to hear he is enjoying life so much.

16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Im late but glad to hear hes doing well and I want to thank him wholeheartedly for his service and also wish him a Merry Christmas and Happy New Years.

17. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

The news seems like a good Christmas gift. Good luck to him and continued good health.

18. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

I was able to spend the weekend with him and besides getting a little tired in the late afternoons, he's doing fantastic. Dr gave him permission to excersize for 15 minutes twice a day. Sunday was a beautiful 50 degrees (Wyoming) so we went for a walk around his acreage and as usual he was walking fast. He's going to have a hard time slowing down and that worries me, but he's tickled pink to be on the go again.

The comment about flirting cracks me up. My grandma said my grandpa was telling one of the nurses that she was really pretty. Good thing my grandma knows how important she is to him. She waited 7 years for him to come home and marry her after the war. Takes a heck of a woman to wait that long! They have been married 55+ years now.