Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

David Coy Adkins

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by DA1919, Feb 28, 2016.

1. DA1919

DA1919 Member

SPRINGFIELD, IL - David Coy Adkins, 96, formerly of Springfield, died at 2:45 p. m. on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at Reflections in Chatham. He was born May 9, 1919 in Burfield, Kentucky to William Jacob and Flara Plina (Withers) Adkins. He married Norma Jean Hart in 1950 and she preceded him in death on April 24, 2010.

Also preceding him in death were his parents, 4 brothers and 3 sisters. He is survived by one sister, Betty Ginkel of Colorado.
    Surviving are his 7 children, David Adkins (Ruth) of Chatham, Gary Adkins (Karen) of Springfield, Richard Adkins (Margie) of Springfield, Debra Freburg (Karl) of Fishers, IN, Diane Wilson (Tom) of Chatham, John Adkins of Springfield, Jim Adkins (Shirley) of Chicago, 12 grandchildren: David Lee (Colette) Adkins of Springfield, Becki (Jared) Shepherd of Edwardsville, Mark (Jessica) Adkins of Springfield, Philip (Catherine) Adkins of Colorado Springs, CO, Eric (Dara) Adkins of Flossmoor, Scott Adkins and Keith Adkins all of Springfield, Jessica (Nate) Gordon of Plymouth, IN, Brent (Charly) Freburg of Chicago, Jim Gray, Beth Wilson and Michelle Wilson all of Chatham; 11 great grandchildren and several nieces and nephews. David served in the U.S. Army Infantry during World War II from 1940 to 1945. He fought in North Africa, Sicily and Anzio, Italy, was a Purple Heart recipient and was a POW in Germany. His story can be found at https://www.fold3.com/page/84342382_david_c_adkins/ .
    He was a member of the Carpenters Union for 69 years. He was owner/operator of Adkins Floor Covering Service until age 75.
    He loved golf and spending time with his family.
    Visitation: 5-7 pm, Friday, February 26, 2016 at Staab Funeral Home.
    Additional Visitation: 9-10 am, Saturday, February 27, 2016 at Staab Funeral Home.
    Funeral Service: 10 am, Saturday, February 27, 2016 at Staab Funeral Home with Pastor Sara Isbell officiating. Burial will follow at Oak Ridge Cemetery where military honors will be conducted.
    Memorial contributions may be made to the World War II Museum in New Orleans, LA.
    Share stories, pictures, Facebook and Twitter at:
    StaabFamily.com

Published in The State Journal-Register from Feb. 26 to Feb. 27, 2016

- See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sj-r/obituary.aspx?pid=177852768#sthash.LI8SBQLB.dpuf

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  2. DA1919

DA1919 Member

This is my Dad's obituary.

Otto likes this.
  3. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

a long war for him......a long time for a lot of them....what a great effect it had on them......year after year.....Salute for him

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

My condolences on the loss of your father. The Fold3 memorial is a fitting tribute to him. Thank you for sharing his story with us.

5. Otto

Otto Rested & Resupplied with MREs. Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

This post halted me utterly.

He clearly lived a long, fruitful life. Thanks for sharing this, I will keep Mr. Adkins in my thoughts.