Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Deathride, Eastern Front--John Mosier

Discussion in 'ETO, MTO and the Eastern Front' started by Schlagermeister, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Schlagermeister

Schlagermeister Member

I have recently begun reading John Mosier's new book on the Eastern Front entitled, Deathride: Hitler vs. Stalin - The Eastern Front, 1941-1945. In the past, I have not really been into the John Mosier books, but this one intrigued me very much once I saw it in the store, so I went for it.
    [​IMG]
    Has anyone else read it yet? He has a very interesting thesis, one with which I actually find myself agreeing with. Thoughts?

2. luke_cage

luke_cage Member

I listed to this book on audio. It is very entertaining. His thesis seems to be that the Eastern front was a war of attrition that the Germans would have won if they held out for a few more months. He argues that many of the Soviet victories were Pyrrhic at best or actually Soviet defeats, when compares the Soviet losses to the German losses.

One thing I have always been curious about is how the Soviets could sustain such staggering losses and still defeat the Germans. True, the Soviet Union (181 million) had a larger population base than Germany (about 100 million if you include the annexed territories). But Russian losses seemed to be at least 2:1 and probably more if you include prisoners of war. Mosier's explanation seems to be that the Russian barely won and had significant help from the Allies.

That said, the book is flawed. He puts forth hypotheses as established fact. For example, he portrays the German invasion as a preemptive move to thwart Stalin. But from Mein Kampf onward there is a mountain of evidence showing the Germans planned to invade Russia to achieve living space. To just dismiss all of that evidence and elevate the anecdotes that suggest an imminent Soviet invasion is disingenuous at best. Mosier does this several times throughout the book.