Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"Fatal Crossroads" Malmedy and book title....

Discussion in 'ETO, MTO and the Eastern Front' started by Kai-Petri, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I hope they do something about the title before printing the book....

Forthcoming from Da Capo:

Parker, Danny S. At the Crossroads: SS Colonel Joachim Piper and the Ghosts of Malmedy. Forthcoming from Da Capo Press in September 2009.

Noticed?

2. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I wonder what new insight will be provided in this book.

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

A little late, maybe, but I've just bought and read Danny Parker's book : -

'Fatal Crossroads - The Untold Story Of The Malmedy Massacre At The Battle Of The Bulge' ( Da Capo Press, ISBN 9 780306 811937 ).

I don't think that there are any new insights as such in the book ; it's more a very readable summing-up and synthesis of existing research, in addition to the author's own interviews, discussions and thoughts over many years.

As well as the 'usual' - for want of a better word - story of the massacre itself, the book has many interesting details about the personalities and operating methods of KG Peiper. I was interested to read some of the 'gossip' about LSSAH personalities such as Poetschke and Diefenthal, and their possible involvement in the incident. Particularly useful is a detailed appendix discussing the historiography of the massacre, and the notes are well worth reading.

Sadly, the publishers deserve little credit ; the apaper is poor quality IMPO and there are many irritating typos.

To me, a valuable addition to my Bulge bookshelf. Recommended.

4. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I have that book. It basically fell apart as I read it since the binding is so poorly done. Good info though...

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

I just bought this book for my Nook. I got it so I can understand Malmedy better. Thanks for the insights. I'll read it after I finish Glantz's book on Barbarossa.

6. Sandwichery

Sandwichery Active Member

Most know of the massacre outside of Malmedy, Belgium, but this book helped to humanize it for me personally. The stories of the individuals involved, both German and American, made the action more than just another "war crime" mentioned in histories of the war. I've often read stories concerning the massacre, but after reading the personal accounts of the survivors I can reread those same stories with a different eye.