Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Ft Belvoir Collection

Discussion in 'Collections' started by von Poop, Feb 25, 2014.

1. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Posted this on 2T - possibly of interest to a few Septics so posting here too:

Much as I often cringe at Buzzfeed articles, this is quite interesting:

Inside The (US) Army’s Spectacular Hidden Treasure Room

Some very familiar stuff here:
    Nazi art held at Fort Belvoir

Getting an 'untrusted' message from Ft. Belvoir's main site, but there might be more out there somewhere.
    Some suggestion out there that this is being publicised as the early shots in getting funding for a Museum.
    Be nice if Shrivenham could do similar...

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Holy smokes Adam. This is amazing stuff. I never knew it existed. All that right under our noses. Where's Indy when you need him?

3. MLW

MLW recruit

Frankly, I don't undrstand the mysterious tone of the article. The Museum Support Center is not hidden and the buiding is not all that large, especially in comparsion to the National Archives.

Regards,
    Marc

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Marc, how else would Buzzfeed approach it? No mystery = no story.

5. MLW

MLW recruit

I believe that organized groups can arrange visits to the faciltiy to see artifacts from the collection. For example, I belong to the East Cast Chapter of the Western Front Assocaition (WFA) and we have been considering holding one of our WWI symposiums there. For the symposium, the staff of the facility has offered to bring out some of their significant and interesting WWI items for us to see such a General Pershing's staff car.. That hardly sounds secretive or ominious to me!

Regards, Marc

6. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Many of the paintings and artifacts are used as displays at the Pentagon and other Government buildings. They have a rotating program where the walls are adorned with the paintings and display cases filled to the brim with other things such as the weapons, kit, etc. A Gold plated AK47 from one of Saddam's palaces and Meriweather Lewis's air Rifle are just outside the office of one of the Service Secretaries. It would be great if another Museum, open to the public, could be built but as mentioned above there is too much for one place to display it all. I think I remember reading that the Smithsonian only displays about 10 percent of it's holdings. The rest is in the basement and stored offsite.

7. Dave55

Dave55 Member

I've seem almost as many of "General Pershing's Staff Car" in museums across the country as cannons that fired the final shot at 11:00 on Nov 11. :)

This is no doubt the real one though,