Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German tanks sent to africa

Discussion in 'Naval War in the Mediterrean, Malta & Crete' started by chromeboomerang, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

See I watched the movie, and after it waisted 2 hours of my life, im a little hesitent on reading the book! :D

2. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Seriously Slon, I rate the book as just about the best novel I've ever read (possibly just behind the Wasp Factory), it lead me off into reading all of de Berniere's books, some of which are rather odd, bit heavy on the magical realism. They did make a pleasant change from all the 'rivet-counting' stuff I normally read though ;).

Cheers,
    Adam.

3. Owen

Owen O

Cor I read that yonks ago early 90s(?), Iain Banks stuff, strange reading. Great stuff.
    Read a few, can't remember which ones now, never ended as I thought they would.
    Might get Corelli out of the libary next time I'm there.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hmm, it's sound tempting, I a have now several opinions, I guess I should read it and have my own and wish I made the choice.

5. george goodew

george goodew New Member

Finding this very interesting.I do micro armor table top battles and i find North Africa very interesting from the stand point of it being hard to hide troop movement and hard to hide personnel do to the open ta-rain.I have read stories and talked to my uncle who was in North Africa, Sicily and Italy he was in the 34th Red Bull Division.He was telling me the we practiced plunging fire to destroy enemy tanks at long range even so the odds still weren't that high of us penetrating there top armor at best we hoped to blow off there tracks or kill the tank commander on the first salvo.The odds of he( high explosive) round doing damage to a tank is slim even hitting the thin top armor of a tank all they could hope for was jamming the turret or maybe hitting close to the track.

6. yan taylor

yan taylor Member

Hello George and welcome.
    There was not a lot of difference in the performance of the two main tank guns used by Germany and Britain from 1941-42, the British 2 pdr was not that bad of a gun but the British didn’t issue any HE rounds (apparently they did develop one), the German 50mm L/42 KwK 38 was on par with the 2 pdr and the Germans made no bones upon issuing HE rounds, here is some comparisons;

2 pdr (L/50)
    Muzzle Velocity: 792 m/s (AP Mk 1)
    Max Range: 7.000m
    Armour Penetration: 47mm @ 500m @ 30°

50mm KwK 38 (L/42)
    Muzzle Velocity: 685 m/s (APC)
    Max Range:
    Armour Penetration: 47mm @ 500m @ 30°

I have added the U.S. 37mm and Italian 47mm as comparison;

37mm M5 (L/53)
    Muzzle Velocity: 884 m/s (APC)
    Max Range: 8.600m
    Armour Penetration: 52mm @ 500m @ 30°

47mm M37 (L/32)
    Muzzle Velocity: 630 m/s (AP)
    Max Range: 8.600m
    Armour Penetration: 44mm @ 500m @ 30°

Going back to what this thread was all about (German Tanks sent to Africa), I read in a book by Bruce Quarrie (Panzers in the Desert) that one complete ship load of Stug IIIs were sunk en route to Africa, he doesn’t say what year this happened or what Ausf they were but I would imagine that it was late 1942 or early 1943 and that they could have been Ausf Fs or Gs.
    Can anyone elaborate on this please?

Yan.

7. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

One loss of a couple mentioned on Feldgrau:
    http://www.feldgrau.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=8271

8. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Is this what you're looking for?
    [SIZE=medium]Sturmgeschütz-Batterie 90[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Nov 42 - formed from 1./Sturmgeschütz-Abt. 242 and sent to Africa (6x StuG III F/8 2 StuGs lost in transit from Sicily to Tunisia)[/SIZE]
    http://stugiii.com/stugunits/heerunits.html

The dates coincide with what you posited. I assume that the rest of the information is correct.

9. yan taylor

yan taylor Member

Well guys I reckon Mr Quarrie has been fed the wrong info and the links you two have posted confirms this, thanks.

Looking at the seven 15cm sFH13/1(Sf) auf Ge. Lorraine Schlepper (f) being lost at sea,
    Rommel must have been sent a total of 30 of these AFVs with 23 arriving safely.

Yan.